Transitioning to Formula

I would like to transition my 5 month old from being exclusively breastfed (nurses and drinks from bottle of expressed milk) to taken a bottle with formula. Any tips and advice on this transition? Is there a brand of formula that he would find tastes OK? So far we have tried mixing formula with breastmilk (25% formula) and he definitely can tell the difference!

One good piece of advice I received from a lactation consultant was to not mix formula and breast milk. Her reasoning was because there are no studies that show what happens to the properties of breast milk when it is mixed with formula. So feed the breast milk separately from the formula.

The pediatrician recommended organic over commercial formula so I use Earth's Best Organic Baby Formula and my baby is very happy with it. You can find Earth's Best at most grocery stores.

I started a slow transition to formula at 4 months. Feeding 4 ounces breast milk 2 ounces formula and worked up to half and half. Now at 7 months my baby gets a full bottle of formula twice a day and breast milk in the mornings and evenings when I can breast feed.

This is hard because the formula tastes really bad as evidenced by the smell of it but he will get used to it. They will eat if they are hungry.

Try Good Start Soy - milk based formula's have much stronger, more "vitaminy" taste that is the exact opposite of breastmilk in every way! Soy formula is much more mild and sweet, promotes better digestive transition and health in breastfed moving to formula fed babies, and reduces constipation or hard stool significantly (and your baby might go through some of that as he transitions from breast milk to formula). Today's soy formula's are fortified just like their whey based counterparts, so there is no nutritional difference between milk or so based formula.
When I moved my little one from breast milk to formula, we initially started out with Enfamil Gentlease Lipil - it caused horrible, TERRIBLE constipation in my little one (to the point where she could not pass her own poop without ripping her little anus apart and making it bleed and I had to remove it manually) - the soy formula not only took care of all of her digestive issues (constipation and GERD) but she loved the taste and it came very highly recommended by both our ped and my friends.

What worked for us was Dr browns bottles and feeding him in a different postion than breast feeding. Also my mom at better luck at getting him to take a bottle than i did. So at first i would get some one else to give the bottle and you might to go for a walk. As far as formula you just need to try several kinds until you find something your baby likes. Everyone is different. YOu can sign up for free samples on there websites. it does take about a month to get teh samples but there free.
A.

Have you thought about continuing to pump as much as possible even when you go back to work?

I am going through the same thing. My 5 month old can always tell the difference. I have also tried putting some formula in his cereal. He can still tell the difference. Please let me know if you figure out something that works.

hi F.,
i HIGHLY recommend you give pumped breastmilk instead of formula. it is so much better for your baby and for YOU, in promoting breast health. workplaces in this state are required by law to provide a good place for you to pump at work, so that should keep your supply up enough to feed him.

good luck!

We switched to GoodStart, which both girls tolerated better than the other formulas. Keep in mind that it will take 3-5 days for your baby to adjust to any changes. Start slow, 1 to 4, then 2:4, then 3:4 so that your baby's tummy can slowly adjust to the difference. Also, any changes you make will effect his poop and that will take time also.

1 / 3