Training Pants for a Small Toddler

Hi, I have a very small 13 month old who already uses the potty for #2 and will go #1 when I put her on, but definitely goes in her diaper as well. I am not looking to transition her out just yet, but during the day, I would love to use some kind of pull up in the next few months. (I know I am very lucky in this regard)

My "problem" is that the pull ups are so big, and I would really rather use a washable training pant, but I can't find any smaller than a 2T. My daughter barely weighs 20 lbs on a good day. Does anyone have any suggestions for good training pants that aren't impossible to get on and off that also come in 12-18 month sizes?

Jen

My son transitioned to the potty at 12 months too. We get everything from the EC Store - http://www.theecstore.com/

I thought that the gerber brand at Babies R us was available in smaller sizes, I'm pretty sure I got my son 18 month sizes there.
I had to keep using diapers as we worked on training him (he was daytime trained at 25.5 mos) when we went out. But when we were home, he was without anything on (nothing from waist down except socks). If he had underpants or a diaper on, he felt secure that he could pee in it. So, we went commando while at home and he learned how to hold it so much better and faster.
I wouldn't spend the $ on disposable pullups, so just continued to use diapers. Plus, my son got a terrible rash from the feel and learn diapers, which have nasty chemicals in them to make the child feel something cool (I think) when they wet the pull up. Avoid that!
Best of luck w/ baby 2 coming and congrats on your daughter's potty training! You'll have regressions, but just keep moving forward. She'll get the hang of it!!!

My first one trained very young too. We just went straight to undies and plastic pants. I think Gerber makes an underwear and plastic sewn into one, that is washable. This brand holds in alot more than just undies and seperate plastic pants. I'm not for sure if either one of them come in the smaller sizes. Geerber makes a cloth undie with extra padding in the crotch and the leg holes are pretty snug. You may want to consider doing layers for your little one. One thing about the pull up...my doctor sort of pushed me to not use them. She said that they do not have as great of absorbency and tend to cause skin irritation more.

That's great you are starting so young. We did with my daughter, too, and she was trained by 18 months. We used Imse Bumpy training pants and they fit her skinny little butt pretty well. They are very thick and about $10 each, but you'll save in the long run if you use them for more than one child & don't have to buy pull-ups. I think we bought 6.
Here's one place you can buy them online:
http://www.kidbean.com/0705803.html
A tip for cleaning anything, like diapers, training pants or sheets, that come in contact with urine is to use a detergent that is free of perfumes. The scented kind actually makes the urine-soaked clothes smell worse when accidents happen.

I think I found JUST the thing for you. The small size is for babies UP TO 24lbs. That should be just right for your little girl. Here's the link...tell me what you think!
http://www.betterforbabies.com/training_pants_little_beet...

Hello

Have you tried regular training pants? They are cloth pants with plastic pants attached. You can buy them seperate or they come attached. They are somewhat old fashioned... but they work.. I used them with my kids.. I guess that kind of ages my self...lol.. you can usually find them at Walmart... Good luck

I bought our son the 24 month size Gerber brand plastic underwear (training pants). Although he didn't like them because they're like diapers and he wanted to be in his underwear only.

Remember once you start training her, you shouldn't go back to diapers/pullups/etc. She will get confused, or maybe hold in her waste until you put on that protective garment.

I personally don't believe in pullups...they are like diapers, and remember when we were kids and our moms trained us, there were no such things as pullups back then. Old school training sometimes works the best.

Try the training pants that Motherease makes. They are a canadian company that make cloth diapers (I've used them in the past and are good quality). Their small size in the training pants is from 20 - 30 lbs.

1 / 3