Train Set for a 2 Year Old Boy

I have a 21 month old boy, and he is getting into trains. He gets excited when he sees Thomas on TV, and he has really been playing with his "baby" trains. We would like to get him a train set for Christmas, but I really don't know what is a good one to get for an almost 2 year old. I would like to buy something that we won't need to replace soon assuming that he'll continue to like trains. Moms, what have you all bought and what do you all recommmend?

I got my son who is 2 1/2 loves trains too. He picked out a Thomas TrackMaster TakeAlong system. He especially loves the train characters that run on batteries. He runs them all over the house without the tracks too! The tracks and pieces are plastic and snap together easily. All the playsets can be played with individually or snap together to make one HUGE one. Good luck!

We have the Geotrax system and it's great. My 2 & 1/2 year old and 4 1/2 year old both love it. You can continue to build and make it bigger as time goes on too. We bought this for my youngest last year for Christmas and they still play with it all the time...this year we will actually be buying to add more train cars and track. It also easily comes apart and I store my in a bin.

I'm sorry I don't have info on the train stuff you're looking for.
I'm writing b/c I saw that your daughter just cut her own hair. How cute!
I know you probably don't think so but I can laugh and share your shock b/c last year my daughter(now 7y/o) cut her bangs so she would look like Hannah Montana!
It was in November so the Christmas pictures turned our to be interesting to say the least.
Luckily it will grow back. Too bad it takes SO long!

Geo Trax...they're indestructible!

Target has a great all-in-one wooden set that you can use with Thomas. We got it for our children and they really loved it.

Geo Trax are the BEST. We have both the wooden Thomas train set, and Geo trax. The Geo tracks are more sturdy, cheaper, and more fun in general. Our nearly 10 year old cousin still likes playing with them. They have both remote control vehicles, which a 2 year old can master, and push vehicles. The tracks stay together well, even if you step on them. The only drawback is that they take up a lot of space. We do not have a toy room, so we set up a new track each time and keep them in a big tub. They have withstood countless assembly/ disassembly and tossing into the bin. They are as good as new. I would recommend them with a 5 star rating!!

While we love the wooden Thomas the train sets they are extremely pricey. We chose to go with the GeoTrax which turned out to be a great decision. We bought it for our 2 year old last Christmas and he still loves it and plays with it all the time. There are so many things you can add so it can get rather large... it has taken over my dining room! This year they have come out with the GeoTrax Airport which I already purchased from Christmas this year... he asks for it daily!

Also... at Target & Wal-mart you can buy the plastic Thomas trains and the smaller sets - like the Take A Long that are little less expensive if he does really like Thomas. My son does so he has a few of those in addition to the GT... he plays with all of them.

We had a Thomas set, a Brio set, and a Little People set. These were all given to my son as gifts, and when we moved, we saved our favorite: the Brio My First Train set. He still plays with it. The tracks are interchangable with the Thomas tracks. Unfortunately, we have already replaced the battery-powered engine once because he used it that much!

Just one word of advice...we bought our son a battery powered Thomas engine which he proceeded to use as a hotwheel (rolling it back and forth). Ultimately, he ended up striping the gears on the inside and was useless by the 2nd day we had it. You may want to start with one that isn't powered.

we just got my daughter one for her 3rd birthday. its the train table, tracks and trains - accessories.. we paid 129.99.. she loves it!!

The brand is imaginarium, I believe thats the toys r us brand

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3140254

the thomas brand also works with it!

1 / 3