Train for a 5K While Pregnant?

I am supposed to be running a 5k in 4 weeks, and I found out over the weekend that I am expecting baby #2. I'm probably about 5 weeks pregnant. I am currently training by running about 10 miles a week, which includes speed training. Have any of you trained for a race during your 1st trimester? I have been running for awhile now so I am in pretty good shape...just really tired all the time! Any tips, advice, etc.? Of course I will discuss this with my OB when I go to my appt. next week, but I wanted to get some of your opinions.

Thanks for all the encouragement fellow mamas! I ended up beating my PR with a time of 28:10, so I was really proud of myself. I felt great the day of the race and it feels great being able to stay in shape while pregnant. Thanks for your help!

i did a 5k in the first few weeks of pregnancy, no problems just had to keep chanting.. i will not throw up, i will not throw up, i will not throw up
i did no previous training and didnt even even know i was pregnant at the time
K. h.

a 5K is no problem at all. but then, i've never done speed training! if you listen to your body and slow down (to a walk if necessary) when you need to, i think it will be a great thing for you AND baby.
:) khairete

I did the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer when I was 10 weeks pregnant. (26 miles one day, 13 miles the next). I talked with my OB and they said that as long as I felt ok it was fine to do. Keeping hydrated is even more important and resting. It's a bit different than running a race, but I would guess that since you are already training and in good shape that they'll give you the go ahead. Good luck!

My Dr. told me I could continue my training as I was previously. I must say that I am not a speed racer, just a jogger for good health and weight management. But, being in the fitness field, there are no heart rate requirements anymore and you only need to adapt when you start to feel the pressures and mechanical changes of your body. Good Luck, Stay Healthy!

As long as you are not just starting to run it should be fine to continue, my problem was always that i just could NOT catch my breath in the first tri-mester and it was too hard for me to continue running. (I actually knew early with my second because of this.) A 5k is really not too far, so as long as you stay hydrated and eat enough protein, you can rock the 5k!! Congratulations on baby#2!

You should be fine, especially since you're already in good shape and already a runner. I was training for a 1/2 marathon when I found out I was pregnant, and I eventually had to stop, but I was up to 8 mile run/walks before I started to have any problems, and I wasn't in perfect overall shape either. Just double-check with your doctor to make sure you don't have anything specific to your health that would make it a problem.

Keep up the running! Your body will tell you if you're pushing it too far. I'm a runner but had to switch to using the elliptical machine around 10 weeks - mostly because I felt pressure down there and I always felt like I had to pee while running. I also started swimming again at this time (I was a competitive swimmer in college) and swam 2500 yards the day before I delivered. Felt awesome :) Congrats on your pregnancy!

I'm not a runner, but my neice is, and she ran a 10K at about 5 or 6 months pregnant. She had been doing bigger runs prior to this, and she was in really good shape. I've always been told that you should continue your level of exercise well into your pregnancy. If you feel like it, go for it! Good luck. BTW: I'm not a dr., but have had two children and continued my workouts until the 9th month. I just got too big and tired! ;) My boys were 9.3lbs and 11.05 lbs!

K. h.

1 / 3