Trader Joe's Deli Meat

Is Trader Joe's deli meat safe to eat during pregnancy? Thanks {^-^}

Everything I read while prego says that it's ok as long as you heat it up until it's steaming, it's ok.

The main concern is what Christina said, heat it up until steaming, the reason is to prevent listerosis (look it up if you haven't already). You should also look at sodium levels, I went on a ham sandwich kick last week (I ate 3 or 4 over the course of 3 days) and it made my ankles swell up like crazy. My OB said drink all the water I can to flush my body out and it worked.

You want to stay away from the preservatives. If the deli meat is sodium nitrite or sodium nitrate-free, then I would think it would state it on the front of the package because that would be a big selling point for their product. Just so that you know, I believe that all of the Boar's Head brand deli lunch meat are sodium nitrite/nitrate-free.

Congratulations of your pregnancy.

My choice would be Sprouts (cheaper than Whole Foods) as their meats are no nitrates and organic choices.

Other things to do to have a safer pregnancy
1. No dental work especially having a tooth fixed in any way.
2. Take DHA omega 3 (Carlsons and Nordic Naturals - look for DHA in big letters on the front and that its numbers are higher than the EPA)
3. NO VACCINES of any kind during pregnancy as aluminum and mercury are neurotoxins for infants and adults
4. Read Dr. Robert Sears book, The Vaccine Book, to start your research as to which vaccines and when your baby should have them. Don't rely only on the pediatrician's push on this.
4. Enjoy the process of growing a life inside of you! Wow!

I think you can find product ingredients lists at Trader Joe's website.
I believe them if they say there no nitrates or nitrites in their products.

Whole Foods has no Nitrites or sulfates. Better bet.

Wow! I ate everything! Food wise anyway!! My cravings were sub sanwhiches. I was never told not to eat anything I wanted to eat!! So I dont really have an answer except I like the meats from TJ's!!

I know Trader Joe's has this deli meat that says "no nitrite" on it. I think they have it in roast beef, pastrami and ham. I usually buy those for sandwiches since I know nitrites is bad for you. Just to be safe, I think I would stay away from deli meats during pregnancy and try to eat "real" meat that are not treated in any way. That is just my opinion.

1 / 3