Toys for Toddler

what are some fun, stimulating toys out there for a 2 yr old boy? He has soooo many different toys but gets bored with them quickly. He's really into anything that rolls like trains, cars, and trucks. We have Thomas and Geo Tracks not to mention some matchbox cars and others. I just feel like he is bored at times and want to know if this is normal or if there may be other ideas out there from other moms?

My son plays with trains, cars and trucks, too. But even at two, he really seemed to enjoy building. He has Lego Duplo blocks which are the big Lego's for toddlers. He also got a set of Mega Blocks and Lincoln Logs for his 3rd birthday. He likes to build towers and castles and now points to tall buildings and towers when we are in the car. I learned to take them apart when he was out of the room. He would be upset and then I redirect him and say, "Let me see you build a tower." And he was off to work. I love when he's working and he tells me, "Almost finished!" This type of creative play where he has control of the outcome is very rewarding and can hold attention longer than the cars and trains. Good luck and happy building!

Hi, I am an Educational Consultant for Discovery toys, I'd love for you to look over our catalog ____@____.com/jaymelee OR you can reach me at ###-###-#### and I'll mail you a catalog - best of all - have a playdate or moms night out and earn FREE & discounted toys! ALL OUR TOYS ARE LIFETIME GUARANTEED!!! We have alot of great toys that are stimulating and that kids want to "test" over and over to "make sure" they work - lol! My almost 5 yr old STILL Loves the Castle marbleworks after years of play! My little guy (21 months) loves it too! Check us out - I can even bring some toys for your little guy to play with to see what he likes! I hope this was helpful! Have a great week!

Have you tried rotating your toys? Divide them up into 2-3 boxes and send all but one box away on "vacation". Then each week, pull out a different box and send the old one away. That way he's not seeing the same toys all the time and they will feel like new.

This is very normal.

The best thing I ever did was take half of my children's toys and put them up for 3 months. I now rotate toys and when I bring them down you would think it was Christmas. They get so excited about the toys they haven't seen or forgot about.

While they are sleeping I put the next set away so they don't know what is missing. If you don't do this they will constantly nag you for one toy.

I now run a daycare and do the same thing and it's fun to watch the children go through the box and get excited.

Good luck with your little guy.

It sounds like he may just have too many toys out at once (or just too many toys! LOL). One good way to keep things interesting is to take 1/2 the toys and put them away for 2 weeks...then when those come back out, put the 1st half away. Always rotate them to keep them fun and interesting. The other way to keep things interesting is to have toys that inspire imagination or engage the child in active participation....most electronic and lights/sounds toys require little participation as they flash and sound while the kids are just sitting and staring! I think that plastic electronic toys get boring quickly :-) I find that toys that I play together with the kids are most fun for everyone...such as dress up outfits, blocks, large legos, musical band instruments, painting at an easel, play-doh, play dolls/stroller, shopping cart, kitchen and food/tea set, cars/trucks/trains, crayons/coloring books, animal figures/dinosaurs, dancing to a music cd, and the usual outdoor stuff like sand boxes, wagons and tricycles... Anytime you are 'doing' the playing it is more fun, and it's always more fun with a parent! Best wishes on rotating some toys in/out and playing together with some of the cool stuff you already have!

Try some cars/vehicles that have a remote control - there are several out there for toddlers. My boys loved them because they could run after them in the house.

I say put some toys up high so he has to ask for them.

My son likes everything Rays baseball. We have a play room and he will throw a ball up and try to either hit it or catch it. He would rather us playing with him, but he likes it by himself too.

He also likes cars and found a "monster truck" at a consignment store and has been pushing it all over. I bought a car from my friend's Discovery Toys online store for my friend's son's 2nd birthday. She says he loves it. (They live out of state now.) It is fun and interactive so I'm going to get it for my 2yr old for Christmas too. http://www.discoverytoyslink.com/esuite/home/marcietaylor

He also likes a dinosaur he picked out at a dollar store.

I think having each kind of toy having its own specific toy box or bin or shelf helps too. His toys are a little more organized so he gets one out at a time. (In theory, you know they're all out at once, but so far he likes to help put toys away too.)

Rotating toys is a great solution to boredom. You pull out a diff box every week and its like Christmas.

A new toy out that is awesome is the Handy Manny Tool box. The toys sing and the tools dance in the box. The tools are also removable. My son has been going to sleep with this thing, which is silly, but he loves it.

1 / 3