Toys for the Airplane

Hi Ladies,

I am wondering what would be some good toys to use on the airplane with my 21 month old. We are going back east in June and it is a 3 hour plane ride. I'm sort of hoping since we have to get up early that he will take a bit of a nap but I won't hold my breath. ;-)

Thanks
A.

In addition to all the other great suggestions, Colorforms cling to the plane window. You can buy them at dollar stores or Michaels. Take them out of their original box and carry them in a ziplock.

Bring a new toy or one that's been put away for awhile. I bring those quiet books like pad the bunny. Aslo a snack, they ALWAYS get hungery. Good luck with the nap thing. We have taking my 18month old many times and he falls asleep just after take off. He get's really excited at the airport with so much to look at. Also dress him in something comfy.

Portable DVD player. You can find a cheap on (under $100) and his/her favorite movie...the plane ride is totally FINE!

The Crayola, no mess markers and color books would be a good idea. There are also things called Wiki Sticks (they are wax coated yarn that can be shaped), I am not sure where to find them, if someone knows where please let me know. My kids got them at a restaurant once and all five of them kept busy the whole time we were there. Bring some new books w/ you. Maybe one of those write and erase magnetic boards too. Have fun! Oh, and maybe some little snacks like goldfish crackers.

WOW. Traveling with small children is never easy. We travel a lot with our 2 children. Sometimes 12x a year. Being prepared is the best thing you can do. The plane ride is not the worst part. Its getting thru security. Things move fast. Little ones dont. Buy your juices etc after you pass security. We never arrived to early. You are on their clock. Once on the plane feed them. A DVD is a savior. We always gave the kids their own carry-on suitcase. The ones with wheels. All of their stuff went in their own case. They like that. If you have to set 5 mins around the 2 1/2 hr mark to let him walk to the bathroom or stand in his seat. Sitting for 3 hrs is a long time for some. All in all weve had successful flights. Good Luck

I am a pretty frequent traveler with my boys 2 1/2 & 9 months. I highly recommend getting a portable dvd player. They are pretty affordable. I think they start out at about $40 and go up from there. Bring baby einstien dvds or dvds of shows your son may like. Also, I recommend getting the big earphones, not the earbuds. Try testing some out on your son if you can to see which he is most comfortable with.

Also, my doctor recommended giving my sons benadryl prior to the flight. It helps them sleep. Check with your doctor to see if that is something he suggests.

back East is only 3 hours??? my plane ride to MA is longer than that! and my daughter will be 13 mos. I like the dvd player idea. I'm hoping she sleeps! :0)

My kids loved playdough, magnets, cars, snacks and coloring
Hope that this helps.

www.tesabartell.myarbonne.com

Hi there, we just took a 5 hour plane ride and no toy held his interest for very long. He is 22 months and I had him as a lap baby (free seat). Fortuanly for part of the ride there was an empty seat that he curled up in and fell asleep. I would say take some Bendaryl to go thing - they are messy or sticky and Humphrys teething tablets to keep him calm. The thing that worked the longest was headphones (over the ear) and my Ipod with his favorite movies. I also had a sling that could act like his blanket so when we didn't have an extra seat he really couldn't get off my lap. Good luck!

Does your son watch anything on TV? A portable DVD player may be a good investment with some videos. Also, they sell an easel at Target that has a blackboard, a white board to draw on with markers, magnetic shapes and I think that is it but it is very compact and takes up very little room. These things kept my son entertained when we went back east last year. My son was a little oler than yours but I think they will still be good. Good luck.

1 / 3