Toys and Attention Span

My husband thinks it is a good idea to take our 2.5 year olds toys out of the family room and into another room. He wants our son to focus on one toy and then ask to play with another one when he is done with that one. Then we are to walk our son into the other room, have him put that toy away and then get another one out. He said it is teaching him life lessons to focus on one thing and then put it away and get another. I am in complete disagreement with this as I am like just let him play with his toys. I am a sahm and always interact with him when playing, but then encourage him to play by himself throughout the day. I need some other mom's ideas on this. Thanks.

Men are so silly! A toddler can't maintain that routine, they play by moving from one toy to the next and then going back to the original toy and sometimes they stack all the toys in a pile to make a castle or other imaginary thing. Toddlers play the way they do because they are using their imagination and learning. I agree with you.

I totally agree with you. He is a toddler. Their attention span improves with age not training! Let him be a kid and have fun.

At 2.5 years old, your son is way too young to understand and follow that practice. Remind your husband that he is 2.5, not 25. Why do men think that kids are just really short grownups? Kids learn through play. If your husband insists on this silly procedure, most of your son's time will be spent going back and forth and fussing because he doesn't understand and can't play. Sure, you will eventually (years and years from now) have one organized kid, but he will also have delays in motor skills, social skills, sensory processing, etc. Plus, nothing else will get done around the house as you steer him back and forth and calm tantrums.
I do believe, however, that it is detrimental to attention to have too many toys available.
You have the right idea, keep up the good work!

Tell your husband that he can only eat one thing on his plate at a time at the kitchen table. When he is done with that one thing then go back and get the other piece of food for his plate. Then if he is thirsty he needs to take his plate back to the kitchen and get his drink and sit at the table...you get my point. Sorry I couldn't resist.

This is definately the time for your toddlers to expand their minds and motor skills. You don't need to overwhelm him with a huge amount of toys. We got to the point now we have our son play in his room with his legos because they were getting everywhere. There's got to be a balance somewhere. Good luck mama.

I think your husband's idea is pretty ridiculous.
you can teach him to put the toys back after he's done playing without him having to ask for his toys. And asking a 2.5 yr old to do what he's proposing is not very reasonable.

Your husband's ideas are not based on empathetic play with his little boy, but on his own ideas about training and organization. They will probably have some merit when your son is in school and learning good study habits, at which point they could be introduced gradually. And you can certainly limit the overall quantity of toys in play at any one time, just to make it safe to walk across the floor. But what Daddy suggests isn't terribly realistic for such a young child.

your husband has his reasons ,,,, but remind him that it would be very unrealistic to expect a 2 or 3 year old to focus on any one thing for more than a couple min.if he must have it his way maybe he can do the walking.... but remember to not let him get upset at your son when it doesnt go smoothly . also ,every body has their own expectations...and men do like to be in control... in a good way im sure. you cant control a 2 year old... god bless. lots of love

Your sons attention span is at the most 3 minutes. This is completely normal.
If you husband is concerned about messes how about a toy grocery cart or wagon? Let your son fill it up and empty it out. Then it can ALL be rolled int to the storage area when he is through.

1 / 3