Toy Ideas for a Two Year Old

My son will be having his second birthday very soon and I am looking for some gift ideas for him. I'd like to replace some of his old toys with some great toddler toys. Any ideas?

Wow! Who knew I'd get so many responses! Thanks so much to everyone - I got some great ideas and am looking forward taking all the suggestions and doing some shopping for him. We're going to pack up some of the old toys for the next child and get him some new ones!

My son loves Fisher Price's little people. He has become very imaginative with his play using them. He will even hold conversations between the toys. Not only are there people but they have animals and different cars, trucks, fire trucks and airplanes. Good luck!

I love the learning express they have great toys, and they gift wrap for free and have lots of stuff they personalize like, desks, containers for cars etc.. I go to the dayton one but they do have one in mason. http://www.mason.learningexpress-toys.com/

It depends on what he likes to do. I wanted my son to have more hands on learning toys for my son's second, like blocks and puzzles, train tracks, and art supplies like play-doh, crayons and finger paint. He loves superheroes and we get him the bug bulky ones, Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, etc. They make bikes, cars, and boats to go along with these guys. Books are always great. If he like playing video games there is a gaming cosole made for toddlers/kids by V-Tech and LeapFrog.

My 2 year old likes the chunky beads by Melissa and Doug. She is really starting to get into things she can play pretend with such as dolls, but maybe for your son some Little People or something.
She also loves the jumbo magnetics like these: http://www.learningexpress.com/childrens_toys/partNumber_...

I have to recommend books, books, books! I don't know if your family are big readers... We started reading to my kids while I was pregnant, when they were infants, and never stopped (they are 5 & 8 now) They are both excellent readers and LOVE to read anything they can get their hands on. There are some fun books on c.d. as well. Some favorites of ours: How do you make a Rainbow?, any DK book that helps learn numbers, letters, words, seasons, etc - they have a HUGE variety, my son always loved "boy" books - trucks, diggers, dinosaurs, animals, sports... DK also makes some board books that tell about football & baseball & other sports. I love that they provide photographs and you can read as much of the "captions" as the child wants to hear, as they get older they maybe want to hear more of it. Eric Carle books, Max Lucado stories (with a Christian message), Where the Wild Things Are, Dr. Seuss board books... I can't think of any more right now. We go to half price books a lot and to my kids, it's like a toy store. They can learn about anything in the world, or just read a story. My kids' imaginations have thrived as well. Not only do they love to read books - they now love to write their own! It may just spark a life long love of reading and learning! Good luck! And happy birthday to your little guy! Enjoy every minute of it!

I am with Discovery Toys and we have some great toys for toddlers. You can check out the website www.discoverytoyslink.com/jhood and search by age. They also have a lifetime guarantee!

I sell Usborne Books. We have many great books for young children your sons age. Trucks, cars , first experiences, farmyard tales, dinosaurs, pirates, first words, first numbers, first letters . We sell books in Value Packs. We have Internet Linked books to see information on websites. We have books with CD's. We have puzzle/ books. We have lift-the flap books. We have search books, similiar to the Highlights Magazine. Jobs people do set. Bedtime stories and flashcards for early learners , sticker books, early learning skill books. Books for Infants -college age reference materials. Various arts and crafts books, kid kits.

Our book selections are updated regularly. We have just started with a new catalog for July -December.

Let me know if you would like any other information. My website is (ubah.com/t2267). My email is at that site also. Let me know what books you may have ordered. Should you want to host a show , I can help you with that also.

Let me know either way. Feel free to pass on my information to other friends and family. Anyway to build my leads is great.

J. Rosa
Educational Consultant

The four items I found to be best for my boys (one is now 26 the other 10) were the following: Lego or Duplex (spelling) blocks (the big ones at that age). These are items that last forever! We still have them in the house and if little girls come over they enjoy them as well. Tonka trucks, they have all sizes now and many of them do things like the fire trucks light up and make noise. These items have lasted for years as well. We still have the large dump trunk and earth mover from when my first son was little. He even sat in the dump trunk and rolled around! The musical sound books, or pop-up books. Disney has some and so does Sesame Street. They can learn about colors, numbers, and various other stories and with the sounds they can entertain themselves for hours. You can replace the batteries and many of them are washable. Lastly, the farm sets. They love them. All the different animals etc., and Fisher Price used to have one with jointed animals, fences, the barn, tractor, farmer, etc. Played with it for hours.
Good luck and happy shopping!!!

Hi! My daughter just turned 2 in May and we got her a turtle sandbox. She loves it. My Mom also got her one of those little red & yellow cars. I call it a Flintstone car. She really likes that too. She also got a Mr. Potato Head. I know it sounds like that would be a bigger kids toy but she really gets the eyes & ears in the right holes. She really seems to like that too.

1 / 3