Toy Dielma

does anyone have experience with this particular toy dilema.
i have a 2 year old daughter and a 4 year old daughter. my 4 yearold had lots of toys before her sister came and found herself sharing them. so not up till a year ago did we actually start buying a toy for them each. equality and all. but there all stored in the same place. so they play with eachothers toys. they have difficulty playing with the same toy no matter how large it is. such as a tea set or a multi piece set vacume caddy. im not sure if i should say "we boguth that for your sister, she wants to play with it now, so give it up" even though theyre stored in the same place, and there for up for grabs? should i start dividing up there toys, and storing them seperately? should they have to share a tea set if they want to play with the whole thing by themselves? help.

Dear M.,
Yes I truly believe dividing the toys up maybe into to boxes
but in the same room then when they want to play with the other ones toy they can learn to ask, and share. But they truly need to learn to respect others toys, places, and then be better at when they go to school.

Thanks
Cindy

usually tea party is a group play time. if the toys are age approved for the two year old also I would enforce sharing. Although they should each have a few toys that are truly there own. Like a doll or teddy. Sharing is always best.

I just explain to my children that in our home we share and that toys are for everyone . We do not take toys away from anyone if they were playing with it first and since they are 1 and 3 it is a constant fight but I will not give up on teaching them to share. They are just following human nature to want what someone eles has not neccessarily that it is the toy they want!

First of all, my kids have too many toys anyway. They are two years apart and both of their birthdays are only two months from Christmas....UGH. I too get all the "BUT IT'S MY TOY". At times I just say okay, if she can't play with your toys, you can't play with ANY of hers. Then he shares.
The thing that works best is TOY ROTATION!!
Quick, go grab a big trash bag!!! Pack up a bunch of toys that they are fighting over (preferably at nap time) and put them in the bag. Yes, they will wonder where the toys went, just say well, their your toys, don't you remember where you put them?? (seriously, they hate to look for toys if you tell them it includes cleaning the play room). Then, store the toys in the garage for a few months. Then, when you are ready to bring them back in, grab another trashbag and bag up the other toys and put down the "new toys" from the storage!! I rotate the toys pretty regularly (3-6 months) but it is also a HUGE money saver as they don't get tired of their toys so often.
Save your Christmas money for socks and underwear!!

I have 1 and 3 year old children. They are already having toy issues from time to time. We have sacred toys in their own rooms that we don't allow the other child to play with without permission, and then we have community toys in the playroom that are fair game for anyone to play with. Seems to help at our house. It also gives them a sense of control, which helps. If they start getting upset about the sacred toys, I just remind them of their own toys in their room and that seems to help most of the time

We have a "play room" that contians the toys that we have declared are communal . My older daughter and son also have special toys that they keep in thier rooms that belong to them individually. This works out well because some times they like to play together and some times they need a little alone time. My kiddos are 6, 4 and 1.5. They get along pretty well most of the time, but everyone has trouble sharing once in a while.

Dear M.,

Thanks
Cindy

I have 2 1/2 y/o and 4 y/o boys that share a room. They share all toys. Some things we have 2 of but mostly, they have to share and take turns. We don't have much of a problem. They mostly play with their dulpos and they worked together to decide which colors belong to each of them.

When we do have problems, the toy is taken away for a while. Most of the time, I can just talk with them, ask them what is going on and if they can come up with a solution. I add in little hints if they need help. Usually a little "He looks upset, would you like to share the toy so everyone can play?" works. They need a little guidance to learn sharing, taking turns, etc. I've know some moms that use timers for turns so that may work for you.

I believe in first come first served. If one pulls out a toy and doesn't want to play with the other, the other gets redirected to something else until his turn if he wants it. Even though they share a room and are their best playmates, they want alone time once in a while just like everyone else. I try to get them set up on different things when it's been one of those days where they want to rip each other's heads off.

Sorry rambling. In short: Work on sharing and taking turns. Mark any specials toys that just belong to one girl. Let them play alone if they want to.

hi ''
no they need tolearn to share ,,if they take from the others hand then itstime out my granddaughters are 2 yrs apart they learned to figure it out so will yours you have to share

good luck L.

1 / 3