Torticollis

I'm looking for stories/long term results for kids with torticollis. My son has been seeing a PT for this for about 6 months and I am feeling very discouraged.

K.,
Chiropractic care for your son is benificial. There are many chiropractors in this area who specialize in pediatrics. Feel free to contact me if you'd like a referral.
L. M

I am a pediatric PT and have worked with lots of kids with torticollis. Sometimes it is fast and sometimes it is slow progress. I will definitely say that the caliber and knowledge of the PT is key, and the amount of follow through you do at home is absolutely key to success. That being said, when my now 20 month old was born with a torticollis, we worked on tummy time from day one, but I also sought out craniosacral therapy for her as I feel it is a faster and more thorough way of dealing with torticollis. I have seen both a therapist who practices craniosacral as well as an osteopath. The osteopath was more expensive, but we were done in a few sessions whereas I can see that PT alone might have taken longer. I am happy to share their info if you would like it.

My daughter (now 22 mos) suffered from torticollis. We began physical therapy when she was 3 mos old. However, we did not see results. We finally switched physical therapist and began to notice a difference. Her torticollis delayed her sitting up, crawling, walking, etc. Her peditrician also wanted us to have her evaluated for gross motor delay. We didn't do it however. After a couple of months with the new therapist she was a different child. We do notice that her head tilts when she is really tired or sick. But I can deal with that. We still massage her neck and shoulder, but not on a regular basis. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, keep up the PT.

my son had right torticollis. he went to pt from the time he was 5 mos to 15 mos. he went every week. the right torticollis resulted in him going to cranial technologies in va. he wore the DOC band from april to june. i don't know where you live but the pt office we went to is in annapolis and we really liked his pt dr. she was so good w/my son.

I would suggest taking your child to see a chiropractor, in order for the child to be evaluated. Torticollis (Wry neck) is one of the many conditions that are treated by chirorpractors. I am a local Chiropractor here in Woodbridge, Va. If you have any further questions,contact me.

Dr. E. B.,D.C.
www.virginiafamilychiropractic.com
###-###-####

I have been a daycare provider to 2 children that had been diagnosed with torticollis. They both had physical therapy/ occupational therapy and are both doing great. One is 5 and one is 4. You would never know. I also met with the therapists and had therapy in my home for them. I would do the exercise with the children, as well as their families doing them. One had the collar that he wore for almost a year. But both are doing well. Keep with it. If you are feeling discouraged, get a second opinion on treatment options.

1 / 3