Top Teeth First?? How Unusual Is This?

My 14 week old has had all the classic signs of teething, but when I look for those first 2 bottom teeth-- I don't really see much more than a verrrry faint white. They have a while to go it looks like. However, today, I started investigating the rest of his mouth to see if there were other teeth coming, to explain his fussiness, drooling etc. Sure enough, it feels and looks like his top teeth are coming in.. I think they're called the canines or insizers? Has anyone else experienced this with their babies?

yep. the insizer is fully broken through now! looks like he's gonna have a whole bunch more in no time too..

Not unusual at all J.. While there is a usual pattern for the emergence of teeth (i.e bottom central incisors first, then top central incisors) it is not uncommon to stray from this pattern. My own daughter had 3 molars come in before her top lateral incisors came in and when I asked the dentist and pediatrician about it, they were not concerned at all. As long as the teeth are coming in, you don't have to be worried.

My daughter got 4 top teeth before she had any teeth on the bottom. She also didn't get any teeth until her first birthday. I'm not sure how normal it is but it's nothing to be concerned about! She now has top and bottom teeth. If the bottom teeth don't come in by the time your baby is 18 months you might want to take him to a dentist.

J., it's not that uncommon. I mean, my oldest go his teeth at 3 months and my second got his at 4 months and my third go his at 6 months.
My oldest drooled more and longer than the other two did and my husband called him Sergant Drooly. It was excessive but now he has nice teeth.
So, to help him out, give him Teething Tablets and I get them at Wal-Mart and I think Hannaford has them. They are homeopathic and they are great to use and it really helps them. Sure hope I helped.

My daughters top teeth came in first. She got her teeth in later then most. Her top teeth came in 2 weeks before she turned 1.

My son's first teeth were the top, he now has two on the top and five on the bottom. This is completely normal. Evey child is different

This is not the norm, but it is not unheard of. There is nothing to worry about! The lower teeth will shortly follow. Any further questions contact us at ____@____.com

I highly doubt that his canines are coming in. They don't even come in until after their molars. My son started drooling and biting on things at 4 mos and he didn't get his first tooth until 9 mos. So it could be nothing yet.

Babies gums are very deceiving. They look white so
it looks like they have teeth coming in and 9 times out
of 10 they do not. It seems they all start drooling and
appear to be teething at that age.

1 / 3