Toothpaste for 6 Year Old

Hi Moms,

What toothpaste does your child use? My son is 6.5 and uses Colgate (watermelon flavor).. He won't use anything with a minty taste.. To me, it's like brushing your teeth with candy. At what age should he be brushing with adult toothpaste? Just curious what your kids use :)

As long as he's brushing his teeth with an American Dental Association approved toothpaste (which basically just means that it has enough floride), I don't care at all what the flavor it. The kid toothpastes don't have sugar in them, so it's not like brushing with candy.

He can use it until he's 20 (or 80) as long as he has clean teeth.

We use Colgate Kids regular flavor. The tooth fairy gave him a new toothbrush and toothpaste last month when he lost his first tooth. He thinks that since the tooth fairy gave it to him, it must be the best. I don't argue.

Flavor is flavor. You might also go for an "all natural" toothpaste like Tom's of Maine.

http://www.tomsofmaine.com/products/toothpaste/product-de...

They also make a "less strong mint" version for kids.

My DD uses various kids' flavored toothpastes and we have not had an issue with them.

My 5 year old hates mint.

We use Toms Strawberry flavor (available with and without fluoride). Before that we used Jason Naturals strawberry flavor (it worked just as well but the Tom's is easier to find). I highly recommend it, you can buy it at Target or Wal-Mart as well as at any health food store.

We tried the orange flavor of Tom's and my son didn't like it at all, but he's pretty picky. I didn't really care for the smell of it either.

We don't use any toothpaste with Fluoride in it... oh some say, you NEED it.. nonsense.
instead we use Dessert Essence.. No Flouride, No SLS, No artificial colors or sweetners...
I haven't allowed my son to use Fluoride from the get go... I think it's terrible and toxic..
Dessert Essence comes in mint, peppermint, fennel (yes fennel :)

I really like the brand as does my son.

good luck

As long as there is fluoride, it doesn't matter what flavor he uses.

Like A L says Dessert Essence is great. My daughter uses the fennel one too. I feel good knowing she's not ingesting any dyes, chemicals, fluoride and staying away from products tested on animals (and no animal products in them).
There's a place online that sells it too: www.iherb.com their prices are really low and if you use the code VEG114 you'll get $10 off your first order.

The whole family uses Tom's of Maine, but while I prefer the mint flavors, my kiddos prefer the strawberry. I'm not concerned about the flavor, more about the chemicals (and animal testing). In addition to five different flavors of mint, Tom's of Maine makes a strawberry and an orange-flavored fluoride toothpaste.

1 / 3