Tooth Infection for Breastfeeding Mom

I'm sure that my tooth is infected and I partially breastfeed my 2 month old. I'm afraid if I don't take care of it soon it will severely abscess; it is already painful enough that it is causing a headache. Is it safe to have Penicillin/Amoxicillin and Novocaine for the procedure where it won't affect the breast milk I feed her?

Ladies! Thank you all for the advice! They ended up giving me amox-clav; a derivative of Penicillin. So far, they think it is a sinus infection that is draining through my tooth. I will find out once the infection clears. Thank you all once again! What a great help!

if you can tell me exactly the medications you would be taking, I can look them up in my book about medicationsand mother's milk (I think it's by Hale). it tells you what medicines are safe or not and to what degree while bf'g. you can email me offlist or call/see my lactation consultant who can help you with some herbals (she has the book too). janet in naperville ###-###-#### (lactinv.com).

Here is a website that lists safe medications for breastfeeding:

http://www.kellymom.com/health/index.html

They specifically address dental work:

http://www.kellymom.com/health/illness/dentalwork.html

I have a ten month old that i breastfeed exclusively and i just got a cavity filled with no problem with about 12 novacaine shots. Sounds like you should take care of it soon before it gets worse.

Boy have I been there, with 2 of my kids I had root canals while breastfeeding. They will definetly not give you something that would hurt you or baby.I had tylenol 3 and amoxacilin. Also I had a foot surgury while breastfeeding and I got anestetic. So I do think you'll be okay.

The risk of having infection in your system is of greater concern to you and your baby. It is safe for you and your baby for you to take amoxicillin. You should be evaluated as soon as possible to determine the best course of treatment.
My office is in Franklin Park. You can reach me at ###-###-#### or at ____@____.com my office is not close to where you live or work, I would be happy to help you locate a dental office in your area.

Sincerely,

Dr. D. R. Pietrini

Hi A. -

Glad things worked out. I just started a course of Amoxicillin for a sinus infection so it's good to hear (again) that these drugs are o.k. while breastfeeding.

You need to get your tooth taken care of right away, it will only get worse. I had some work done while I was nursing and I spoke to both my OB and dentist to see what was safe for the baby. Call your OB and they will let you know what is safe to take while breastfeeding.

No it shouldn't affect the baby. I had a root canal done while I was nursing my baby and the doctor said it wouldn't hurt him and it didn't.

I am a 4 time BF mom, currently nursing an 8 month old lil one. A few weeks ago I had my a tooth pulled using the Novocaine to numb and Amoxicillin prior to that for infection. I had checked with my OB and Ped and they gave me the go ahead.

I am sure you will be fine. But I would double check with your doctor and the baby's doctor just to be safe.

And you can certainly express before hand so baby has milk to drink until you get the Novocaine out of your system. And if you are up to it, pump after your procedure just to keep your milk flow up and then dump it if you are concerned about it.

1 / 3