Tooth Fairy Question

My youngest soon lost his first tooth 2 weeks ago and the Tooth Fairy left him a Susan B. Anthony dollar under his pillow. He was very excited to show everyone that he finally lost a tooth(most of his friends have already lost multiple teeth) and the money he received. When he told my mother in law, she gave him 5 1 dollar bills and she supposedly made a comment about the Tooth Fairy needing to be replaced. I am wondering if your family believes in the the Tooth Fairy how much she leaves for your son or daughter's tooth? Also, any suggestions on a polite way of letting Grandma know Tooth Fairy is not in her job description? Thanks for your help.

Hunny you need to talk to her fast. The next thing you know she is doing that at christmas. Whatever you decide to give him should be fine.

Hi P. - I did a post on this a few months ago and prices ranged. Here's a link http://www.entrepremusings.com/index.php/2008/05/22/the-t....

Hope that helps!

A.

Wow, well I gave my son a little party-favor sized/priced toy. He immediately lost it, but was happy and entertained. I'm glad it wasn't a large investment. If grandma wants to get him a piggy bank or start up an Education IRA, more power to her. Point her to vanguard.com

I'm the mother of 3 grown kids and grandma of 2 little ones.... When my kids started losing teeth, my hubby and I were on a very limited income... There wasn't always a spare dollar around. So I always kept a small stash of inexpensive goodies, stickers, hot wheels cars, cute hair clips, giant candy bars, and coupons for mcdonalds. When a tooth was lost, the toothfairy would leave a treat instead of money... You can't buy much with a dollar ... and that way instead of them hounding me for more money for the toy they wanted, they had an instant prize that they could enjoy right away...

Have your husband ask his mother to either help fund the goodie stash or at least not give more than the toothfairy, she can match the payment from the toothfairy but not more...

The toothfairy is a PARENT THING... and you should be able to enjoy it without anyone meddling.

I think your mother-in-law needs to mind her own business. If she wants to give him $$$ that is her business but to say anything about what you gave your own son is ridiculous and out of line for her to be doing. My suggestion is to let her know nicely that you sure do appreciate her giving $$ to her grandchild but that you are trying to teach your child to appreciate $$ and not take it for granted and maybe if that is all you can afford to give him then she should respect that. Good luck from someone who knows about nosy in-laws!!

Yes P., there is a Tooth Fairy.
At my house the tooth fairy leaves a Sacajawea for my daughter, and a gold presidents dollar coin for my son.
The tradition will happen as long as they loose teeth and i will never admit to being involved...unless they ask directly, then I can't lie. But I think they really don't want to know.
There was one spell when my daughter was refusing to brush her teeth...it was like pulling teeth..LOL haha. Anyway the tooth fairy left her a new toothbrush, floss, and toothpaste. And a cute little note about how she knows if she is brushing or not by how the newly fallen tooth looks. So she now brushes better and when she loses one she brushes it before putting it in her special tooth cup.
She puts it in a special cup next to her bed and the tooth fairy puts her coin in the cup.
What was really cute was when my son lost his first tooth she ran to her room and brought him the cup and said he could borrow it because it works really well.
As far as your mother in law goes, she should NEVER undermine you in front of your kids no matter what. it does not matter what the circumstance is, you should never allow anyone to undermine your parenting choices in front of your kids. It only tells your kids what they will assume when they are 14..."you don't know what you are doing"
I had to make this very clear to my mother in law and I did it with love in my heart ..love for my kids and for my husband. I did not want any strife but she did need to know that if she had any concerns or problems or questions or even comments she can tell us in private. So far she has behaved ...she would rather bite her tongue than not see her grand-kids...
Good luck...and keep the coins coming...don't let the magic die because of a careless comment.

My mother did the same thing! We stick to the $1 though and did not give him any more in the future. I really think my mom felt bad because he was standing next to her and she raised her arm and accidentally knocked his tooth out (it was hanging by a thread). He was so excited and I just told him it was because the tooth fairy felt bad for what Nana did in a joking manner but I also told him not to expect it again. We do not live around my family though so I don't know how to let Grandma know. I'm not usually full of tact when I do that to my mother - just tell her to butt out. Grandma is more than welcome to give money for teeth but not during tooth fairy time to me - that is a parent thing.

I also leave only a dollar for a tooth but even less if that tooth was not taken care of well. I tell my kids that the tooth fairy only wants nice clean teeth that have been well cared for. It sure gets them brushing more.

Hope that helps!

A.

Yes, the tooth fairy still exists, and a dollar is a good price. I can't imagine what she meant by "the tooth fairy needs to be replaced". Why don't you ask her what she meant? I see nothing wrong with her rewarding your son for being so brave at losing a tooth as long as she understands that the tooth fairy is alive and well and only leaves money under the pillow when she takes the tooth. Any other monies are to be considered gifts or rewards so as not to confuse the child. After all, he does have friends to discuss things with and if the tooth fairy visits his friends, she should certainly visit him too, but not with $5.00. One dollar is plenty. I'm a mother of four and a great-grandmother. I hope you saved the tooth in a safe place. You'll treasure it one day.

1 / 3