Too Young for Deodorant?

Yikes! My 7 year old boy has body odor. I've always encouraged him to wash well, but have lately really encouraged him to wash under his arms really good since we've noticed. I'm guessing bacteria is around with his sweating and getting dirty. I thought maybe we could try an all natural deodorant for him. What do you all think? I'm never prepared for these things....:-) And while I'm having an anxiety attack at the Walmart deodorant aisle today, it occurred to me that I need advice and what better place to get it? Thanks so much in advance!

First of all, thanks to all of you for your suggestions, personal stories, and humor. I felt a lot better. And as it turns out he had an ear check with his dr. (that I had previously forgotten) and the doc said it's really not that unusual at this age at all. You all were spot on! I got my little guy some Arm & Hammer with no aluminum or parabens and it's just a deodorant. And it's a great time to gain some credibility with him on our knowledge of bodies and how we change as we grow and we parents get some practice too! Ha! Thanks again to all of you!

My 7 yr old has the same problem, I called his doctor's office and they said it was ok to use a mild deoderant on him. When I went to Wal Mart to buy one I had no idea which men's deoderant was mild, so I ended up buying him Dove. It works well and he's had no reaction to it. I just told him it was for boys and girls, since it was kinda girly on the front.

R.,

My 7 year-old son has the same problem and Witch Hazel was recommended to my by a doctor. It may sound strange, but we take Tucks with Hazel medicated pads and rub under his arms. The only complain is that it is "too cold" but its seems to do the trick. Hope this helps!

S. S.

Hi, my daughter who is 4 also has a smelly problem. I've talked to the dr since she is so young and he said that some kids are just smellier than others. She doesn't smell consistantly, but occasionally, and more in the summer months. He told me to get her a deoderant, not an anti-persperant. I bought her an all natural, hypo-allergenic deoderant, since she is so young. It is called herbal clear. It says it is aluminum, paraben and alcohol free. It has aloe and vitamins A & E. But the point is, that is stops her from smelling when we have to go someplace and don't have time for a bath. Good luck, I hope that helps.

Have a friend with a 9 yr old girl with this same problem, when she mentioned this to her pediatrican, he wanted to know where she bought her milk. She said usually Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart, or so I've been told, get their milk from dairies that use hormone therapy to produce more milk in their cows. This is coming thru in their milk, thus transferring to our children.

My nephew started wearing deodorant at a very young age, also. My sister bought him regular deodorant like she did with her older boys and he was fine.

I see any problem with it. I think it would be worse to have people think he is smelly! Have dad take him and buy some "man" stuff!

Deoderant is ok, but do not use an antipersperant! Use deoderant only. I can not remember the exact medical reason, something to do with the glands not being fully developed or something. My sister is law is a walking medical book of information and she told me about this. Unfortunatly all I remember is antipersperant is a no no and deoderant is ok.

The witch hazel sounds interesting, my granmother used it on us as kids for bruises and everything. It was her wonder drug.

I may be trying the apple vinegar thing though, this is not the first time I ahve heard benefits from using it.

Definitely get one without aluminum. Also, what we eat can effect how we smell. This may sound crazy but I started drinking raw apple cider vinegar in water and not only do the mosquitos leave me alone but I smell better! I'm getting my kids (7 and 9) hooked on it, too. It is a cheap way to get lots of good health benefits.

L. C.

1 / 3