Too Young for Body Odor?

I have a beautiful 6 year old daughter who is finishing up her 1st grade school year, and I've noticed more than once this year that she has had underarm odor... and to me this seems way to young! She is my first child, and I certainly don't remember when I started having such issues as a child, so I have no comparisons.

I plan to ask her doctor on her yearly checkup in August, and we've just made sure she washes well since noticing - I haven't mentioned it to her though, I certainly don't want her to get a complex!

So, is this normal?

We've discussed it some, and I got her some Teen Spirit - which she likes the smell a lot. We will discuss it with her Dr in August at her regular appointment, just to make sure.

Thanks, everyone, for the reassurance and help!

HI S.,

It is fairly common these days but it should not be considered normal. It has to do with a lack of nutrition or a lack of absorption of nutrition. Food today has so many chemicals (pesticides, preservatives, hormones, antibiotics, etc) in it that it breaks down the nutrients so we can't absorb them.

Both of my girls are on an absorbable multivitamin/mineral complex that has a guarantee for absorption. My 14 year old had an odor at seven but doesn't have one now. It's the nutrition and the body working the way it should. If you're interested in what I did, let me know. I'd love to help.

My 6 year old has stinky pits when the weather gets warmer. Because of her sensitive skin I was using baby Aveeno to wash her body and I had to switch to something a little stronger and that seemed to do the trick.

I did read some of the responses and wanted to add that we eat almost exclusively organic and vegetarian, ( organic milk also)... I can see in come cases where diet would make a difference, but that's not it for us.

HI S.,

20 -30 years ago this would not be normal...but dr's are seeing young girls develop faster. My neice discovered pubic hair at age 6....it was way embarrassing for her and was very confused.....but with the help of her mom and pediatrician.she got hte right info and understanding...

If anything, I might just call your pediatrician and let them know so they can notate it on her records and they may give you some resources to look into to educate yourself...and then at her checkup you can discuss how the body odor has progressed.

Hi there...my daughter's doctor told me under arm odor can start anywhere from 6-9. Usually the first sign of puberty. My kids both started be a little smelly when they were 7ish. Usually only when they would get sweaty. However, I had a girlfriend who's daughter, like yours used deodorant at 6...it’s no big deal. Give her some deodorant, otherwise if kids at school smell her, they will give her the complex for you. Trader Joes and Whole foods has some natural ones that work for my kids.
Hope this helps... :) D.

Yes, kids this age get body odor.
My daughter is 7, she has odor.
I got for her and she uses with no problem the "Arm & Hammer- Essentials Natural Deodorant" which has NO aluminum and NO paraben in it. You can get it anywhere, even probably the grocery store.

My daughter has no complex about it. She says some of her other classmates 'smell' too. Your child will not get a "complex" about it if you don't get a "complex" about it.

A good book series is the "American Girl" books. There is one called "The care and keeping of you." Which is real good, fun, and made age appropriate and made to be read with Mom. I got this book already... for my girl and me. She read some of it already. But I will save the rest for when she is a little older.

all the best,
Susan

I think things have changed as far as when kids mature and go through puberty. I distinctly remember the kids needing bras and deodorant around 6th or 7th grad (11-13 yrs old). My stepdaughter was 8 when she started having body odor so her mom & dad started her on deodorant and it seemed to help greatly. I would call your doctor to see if it is okay to start her on deodorant this young. Hope that helps.

Even babies can have body order. I suggest getting a natural antiperspirant that is gentle. Here is one:
http://healinghappens.myshaklee.com/us/en/products.php?sk...

She is younger than the average, but this is really no big deal. By age 9 all her friends will be pretty stinky!

My daughter was 7 when we started noticing it. I also thought she was too young, but I also did not want anyone else to mention it to her. So, we made it a rite of passage. I told her that our bodies change as we get older and she would get to wear deoderant like mommy. Then, I took her shopping for the scent she wanted. She did not feel weird about it and we got some relief from the smell.

When she hit 4th grade and the teacher mentioned under her breath that some of these kids should really be wearing deoderant, my daughter was proud that she was not the one offending her teacher.

It is normal, especially if your daughter is fairly active.

1 / 3