Too Much Water for 10 Month Old?

Hello all,
I just stopped breastfeeding my 9 1/2 month old but she has also been on solids since 6 months. We introduced the sippy cup which we fill 90% water, 10% apple juice. We don't drink cow's milk and she doesn't either. So now, she just eats solids and then the sippy cup throughout the day. But I swear, she must drink about 8 of them a day, so about 64 oz! Obviously, this makes for very wet diapers as well. So my question is, is this normal?? I never thought too much water might be harmful but should we be offering other liquid alternatives? Just curious...thnaks!

Hi Dorthy-This is right up my alley. I am a mother of 4 and ran a daycare for 10 years. During that time we went totally holistic, organic and vegetarian (with the exception of my husband.) We do not do any dairy either and have not for 5 years. She is old enough now that you can give her almond or rice milk. Just make sure that you get her the Omega 3's and 6's she needs thru avocados, coconut oil or a pure infant supplement having the DHA. There are many on the market one of the best being NSI. I would forgo the juice-ANY juice (with the exception of a juicer a few times a week) is terrible for children and adults. Your body converts it into instant sugar and it spikes your glucose. Water is alright for baby but she should need 1 to 2 of the sippy cups with the exception of a very warm day. She is probably thirsty and now that she is not nursing she is wanting to drink the water instead. Our bodies are made up of more than 70% of water so she does need some.

The ONLY other supplement you can do is Goat's Milk. Personally I do not care for it myself but so many people do that. It is non-mucous forming and the Meyenburger's is completely safe. Google them and check out their website if you are interested and Trader Joe's carries it. Kudos to you for not using formula of any kind.

If you have any more questions let me know.

Detox Coach

I don't think that juice offers much benefit at this point. We rarely offer it to even our 3 y/o. Our 10M old hasn't ever had it. I just stopped BF'ing him and I switched to formula in his sippy cup and in his bottles. I think they need the DHA, fats and nutrients that BM and formula provide until they're a year old.

We have recently switched to organic milk for our 3 y/o and once the 10M old is a year, we will give him organic whole milk.

I do respect your choice to avoid cows milk, but I think it would be a good idea to look at other alternatives (soy, formula, etc) other than juice and water.

:)

Breastmilk or formula should be the main source of nutrition for your baby until they reach 1 year. She needs the fats that come from whole milk/formula/breastmilk for good brain development. If she is not drinking any breastmilk, formula, or whole milk, she needs to get these healthy fats from other foods like cheese, yogurt, and avocado. 64oz of water/juice is too much of the wrong kind of calories for her development. At most she should be drinking 12-16oz of water/juice per day.

try a soy based formula, and use the 9-24 mos version. it has the fats, Omega's and DHA the baby needs for proper brain development. I didn't introduce juice because it has no nutritional value till 15 months, and even then it is still a treat and only served on occasion. My son hated milk, so I stuck with Similac Go-n-Gro 9-24 mos. My son probably drinks 30 oz water/day, and 16 oz milk

My guess would be because of the juice. They will overindulge if it is sweet. I would nix the juice until she is older, she doesn't need it.

None of my children drink milk. They both drink rice milk, but mostly water. My 5 month old will do the same. I never give juice to my children before they were 1, they had water too much sugar in juices for me, so i don't think they needed it. Your daughter is not getting too much water. Mine also went through about that much water, I start sippy cups at 6 months. Trust me in the long run, it's great because your daughter will most likely choose water as her drink and that is great. My 7 yr. old drinks almost only water. O.J. sometimes at breakfast, a juice box here and there, but water all day.She will be fine, mine are all healthy. Hope this helps.

Please be very careful giving an infant water. Too much water can cause water intoxication(please search this and about water with infants). It can displace the way her body takes and uses sodium which is necessary for her. It can also disturb her electrolytes and magnesium.... which is also ecessary for her. These disturbances can cause major life threatening problems.

I am not saying your daughter will get them or has them, I am just saying to be very careful about giving water to an infant!

If you are not interested in giving her cows milk have you looked into other alternatives? Remember that the fat they get from milk is essential for their brain development until they are 2 years of age. We give our daughter organic milk because we are leery about the hormones and antibiotics used in cows. Another option would be soy or goats milk.

If you are noticing any changes in your daughters behaviour or any other thing of concern please contact your pediatrician. I would probably contact them anyhow about alternatives that are acceptable to give your daughter besides milk if you are against it for her!

Good luck to you and many blessings!

1 / 3