Too Much Tylenol?

My 3 1/2 month old has been teething for a few weeks (no teeth yet). He is a very strong willed little boy with quite a temper. I give him tylenol whenever he is very miserable, usually not everyday or more than once/day. My question is, should I be concerned about extended use of tylenol? It says on the bottle not to use it for more than five days... Any knowledge out there?

Thank you to everyone who responded. I am certain that he is teething because I can see his teeth right beneath his gums. I have also heard many stories of very young children teething (every child is different) and read that it may take several months for a child's first teeth to break through. I will try the teething tablets, as I am also a believer in natural remedies and hate to take medication myself. I am only trying to do what is best for my little boy, and if tylenol helps him to be happy, I have no problem giving it to him as occasionally as I have been. Thank you all again for your help!

Just wanted to second the Hylands teething tablets! I put them in all my baby showers gifts now... they were a life saver to me!
You can find them in almost asny store now... walmart, walgreens, cvs, etc... usually in the baby section. Good luck!

I can't offer any advice on this one but I was wondering the same thing. My son is about 3 1/2 months. He's miserable if I don't give him tylenol but I'm worried about excessive use. I follow the dirrections on the bottle. I can't wait to see what everyone's responses are.

you sure he teething? have pediatrician check him

but no not bad to do.

if you gave it to hime several times a day for a number of days different

Check with your doctor to see if it is okay to give Tylenol to your 3 month old child, first.

Volunteer at a nearby day care center in their nursery to see how other babies that age act. That way you can see first hand how others your child's age interacts with their surroundings.

Listen to your "mother". There are lots of senior mothers out there who have raised their own children, grandchildren, or neighbor's children.

Visit other mothers your age with children. This web site is a good place to start. Keep up the good work.

Pray!!! God bless you and give you wisdom in how to raise the gift that He has allowed you to bring into this world for some reason. Ask Him to direct you daily and He will show you how to train up this child in the way she/he should go.

We didn't get a consistent answer to this question from the various pediatricians in our practice, but I can say that we gave what is generally considered to be a LOT of Tylenol (daily, for months--otherwise he didn't sleep at all) to our little guy (now 7 1/2 months) without any ill effects. But definitely check with your ped. Also try the cold teething rings or even a wet washcloth (easier for the youngest babies to hold), sometimes those make a big difference.

Hi L.! My doctor advised absolutely no pain releivers to any baby less than 6 months of age and even then to use sparingly so I would stop using the tylenol immediately. If he seems fussy ask your pediatrician what the issue could be because it might not be teething. Hope this helps!

I would recommend that you try a homeopathic remedy designed just for infants and kids. It is Chamomille, made by Hylands( very well known) 800-624-9659. These mini tabs dissolve in the mouth and kids love them. They can be found in healthfood stores and supermarkets like whole foods and wegman's. We have used chamomille tea, (from generation to generation) as a general calming tea for pains, tummy aches etc. The tabs are inexpensive, easy, effective and safe. While you are at it make yourself a cup of yummy tea too!

Please dont give your baby tylenol for teething. If you are certain that his gums are bothering him, go to a health food store and get chamomilia tabs for the gums. These are just as effective and are better. You may be waiting for your childs teeth to come out for quite a while.

Hi L.. I'm a mom of 3 and also a pharmacist. I don't recommend giving your son Tylenol every time he's miserable, because I'm not a big fan of over medicating. That being said, teething sucks!! The worst is when you don't know if they're miserable from their teeth, from hunger, wetness, boredom or an inherent awareness that their crying drives you insane and it amuses them. I always tried orajel first, then if it didn't seem to soothe them any, I fed them, changed them, bathed them, played with them, anything to see what it could be. If they settled down a bit after the orajel (really slather it on, it doesn't get absorbed to any great degree in the body), then I gave them a supplemental dose of Tylenol to help ease the pain once the Orajel wore off. The most accurate dosing of Tylenol is 5mg for every pound of body weight. This should get enough into their system without being too much that you can't re-dose them 4-6 hours later if necessary. I avoided Children's Motrin and other ibuprofen products in my babies because it can upset their stomach, not something I wanted to deal with on top of sore mouths and gums. Good luck, and hang in there. Soon you're done worrying about teething pain and worrying about braces pain!

1 / 3