Too Many Trophies

I am trying to declutter. I have 3 kids that have so many trophies from softball, swimming, baseball, soccer,etcs. I dont know what to do with them. I feel guilty throwing them away. Any suggestions?

I put up shelves about 12 inches from the ceiling around as much of the bedroom as possible to display my daughter's stuff. It's still visible, but not in the way!

This isn't a formal solution as I'm still trying to figure this out, but in the meantime, each kid's trophies are stuffed in different pockets of a shoe bag hanging on the inside of their closet doors. Out of sight, out of mind, I guess.

Photo collage for the wall, and box the actual trophies for storage in the attic.

I had this problem as a child too. I had a lot of different trophies and medals. Some of them were important to me, others were more 'participation' items (like from the Y). Consequently, some I decided to save and display in my room because I was proud of my accomplishment and worked hard for them. Others I didn't care about.

I'd say talk to your kids about it. Find out which ones are most important to them and help them display them on a high shelf in their rooms. The other ones you can take pictures of and they can write down what it was from, and why it's important to them. They can even wear the shirt/uniform or you can put it in the pic next to the item if you like. That way they can each have a scrapbook for current and future accomplishments. That's really nice to look back on later...their own handwriting, why it was important to them at that time, etc. without "losing" that memory.

As far as what to do witht the trophies. See if a local awards shop will recycle them.

I would put a shelf up in their room and display only the "important" trophies. Take pictures of the others, create a collage of the pictures, or make a scrapbook.

I'm sure the other moms that participate in the same sports as your sons have the same problem You may ask them what they do, and see if anyone mentions a place in your area where they can be recycled.

In my town there is a recycle place called Leftover's were people can donate ANYTHING (almost). That way things stay out of landfills, maybe look to see if you have anything like this in your town.

Not sure how old your kids are but you could do what my mom did. When I moved out every time I came for a visit she would hand me a packed box of my stuff to take with me. She got her closet cleaned, I got my stuff out of there which most of it I ended up junking!

We just decluttered my son's room. Trophies were the big issue. We decided with my son to keep any that he earned (by winning something). All the rest we simply asked him, "where did you get this one?" If he couldn't answer specifically then we discussed whether or not it was necessary to keep it. He got rid of all his participation trophies on his own.

1 / 3