Too Many Bms????

Hi, ladies,

I was hoping someone else has had this problem. Our DD (15 mo) has gone from having 1-2 BMs/day to 7 yesterday, and already 2 this morning. They are normal BMs, but because there's so many, she now has a yucky diaper rash. I feel so terrible for her. She seems to have a lot of gassiness too. Anyone experienced this? Advice?

Chrissy

I just wanted to give you my two-cents for clearing the diaper rash. Give her a baking soda bath. Add 1/2 to 1 cup of baking soda to her bath water and give it a swish to dissolve it. My daughter's pediatrician recommended this when my dauthter had diaper rash so bad that it was beginning to bleed. I was amazed with the releif she got. She could be crying in pain and would stop the instant her little bum hit the water. The bright blister red would be almost gone when she was done with the bath.

Kindest regards and Best of luck. I've had a sick baby though the holidays and it is the worst.

Certainly could be a virus, what with all of them swirling around us lately.

With the gassiness, it does sound like it might be a reaction of some kind (allergy, intolerance, had too much in one day) to a food. You might try to jot down a list of the foods she ate that day (particularly anything that might have been new). Then try those foods again, separately, and see if she has the same reaction. If she does then I would just avoid those foods for a while. Then retest them again.

You don't necessarily need to rush her off to the allergist unless she continues to have these reactions to other foods, or in the case of a severe & quick reaction. (By "quick" I mean within a few hours of ingesting a food, and by "severe" I mean anything involving 2 or more body systems...like vomiting and a rash. Or she's acting like her tongue feels funny and she's swelling up. Those are anaphylaxis, baby. (And in the case of a anaphylaxis, you should call 911 *immediately* instead of waiting to see if she starts to have trouble breathing.)

Best of luck... hope your little one's feeling better already!

Yes yes yes. Take her to the allerist. You might have to wait until age 2. Iwent to Dr. Bock in Boulder and he was awesome. Mine wasn't allergic but he helped me out a lot and referred mr to a GI. Mine had Chronic Infantile Diarha Syndrome. I think he is now growing into IBD. But at least take out ALL dairy and cow products for one month. See if that helps. Mine also has issues with soy and corn...which you will find is in most processed foods. I like Bert's Bees diaper ointment the best. It can sting a bit but cleareed mine up quickly.

She probably has diarhea or rotavirus or something like that. 7/day is not normal for a 15 mo. My kids have been sharing some diarhea thing this week. Nothing else, just diarhea, but it's only lasting for a couple of days. My 19 mo has it now. Poor baby. He's just had two baths today.

The BRAT diet Banannas(SP) rice, applesauce, toast, when kids have diarria, that is what you give them.
Make sure she isn't running a fever and use a warm water clean clothe on her bottom after each time you change her. The wet wipes sometime have stuff in them that burn and hurt and make it worse. Keep her as dry and comfortable as possible.

If it doesn't pass in a day or two call the Dr. She is sick.
C. B

Yes! The Aquaphor and Maloxx for the diaper rash does work great! After the rash is looking better, just the Aquaphor alone works great too!

My little ones have extra BMs when they eat bananas. Crisco works great for clearing up diaper rash. Just make sure you buy a can that's just for diaper rash and don't keep it in the kitchen.

My 2.5 year old DD does this for a few days right around the time of a growth spurt. She will pick up her eating, poop a lot, and then gain weight or height. I would see how long it lasts and if she seems to be feeling fine. If she is active, eating well, no fever, seems to feel fine, then I think you don't have much to worry about. My daughter does this for a few days every 3-4 months. I don't think you are too abnormal, or really out there. And while it could be something like rotavirus, you typically see vomiting before the diarrhea and also the poop is more watery than what you are describing. If you are concerned, it might be worth a call to the doctor--they are usually happy to answer your questions on these types of issues.

I love the Burt's Bees diaper ointment for diaper rash--it works great. And let her have some "air time" with nothing on her bottom every day--or maybe for 10-15 minutes after each diaper. For rash as well, I like to rinse my dd bottom in water--I spray her off with warm water at the kitchen sink for 30 seconds to get her really clean.

The ABC diet is binding as well--applesauce, bananas, and cooked carrots.

Let us know how things turn out.

1 / 3