Too Early to Start Standing?

My son is 6 months old and he is starting to stand on his own and a lot of people have been telling me to make him stop because he could become bull legged, but my son will get fussy if I make him sit. Any ideas?

I'd let him stand. My cousin (who is more like my nephew) was walking by 7.5 months. I'm guessing he'd have to have been standing by six months too!

Standing helps strengthen his bones and muscles.
Also bow legs is a developmental stage.
They go from bow legs, to knock knees, back to bow and then straighten out by the time they are about 2nd or 3rd grade.
I wouldn't worry about it.
Tell people there's no keeping him down!

That's ridiculous advice. My son was pulling himself up right after he started crawling, at 5 months. He's fine. That's an old wives tale. If a baby wants to hit a new milestone you can't stop them!!

Thats just an old wives tale. Dont listen to it. If your son is expressing the want to stand, then let him! He is probably just going to be an active little guy early. My son was walking very early too. Now he is a runner, and a climber lol.

Let the boy do what makes him happy!

Also bow legs is a developmental stage.
I wouldn't worry about it.

that's pretty silly advice. My daughter only wanted to stand from the time she was tiny. If we were sitting in a chair, she wanted to be standing. At her first doctor's appt (only a couple of weeks old!) she used his fingers to pull into a standing position instead of sitting. She's 4 and fine. If your kid wants to stand, let him stand.

oh good Lord. Let him stand! Getting bow-legged is an old wives tale. It will make your baby very strong to let him exercise his standing muscles and all other muscles he has. Sounds like he'll be an early walker :)

The person to ask, of course, is your pediatrician. I've never heard any such warning before. My children were standing that early, and I have a five-month-old grandson now who wants to stand whenever he has the chance! He can't pull himself up yet, but when somebody's holding him he may as well be saying, "Let me get my feet on something solid, folks!"

my kids were both standing before that, that bow legged thing is a myth. all babies look bow legged at first because their little limbs are stretching out of the fetal position permanently.

1 / 3