Too Early for Cereal? - Owensville,MO

My son is almost 10 weeks old and has been on Nutramigen for almost 3 weeks now. It is working great and his symptoms of colic are pretty much non existent now....BUT, he's been eating 5+ oz each feeding and is only going 2-3 hours between feedings. (Most of the time 2 hours) I'm not sure what to do...I know that he is a growing boy and that he is really hungry.

Do you think I should try putting just a teaspoon of cereal in his bottle? Or is this not a good idea because of the Nutramigen?

Thank you for all of your feedback...as a new mom, I appreciate any advice I can get!!!

Our pediatrician had told us at his 6 week check up, that it was ok to put a tiny amount of rice cereal in his bottle anytime after 8 weeks, but that was before he got switched to the Nutramigen for Colic. With him being only 2 and 1/2 months now, I believe that we will just continue with formula alone and wait until 4 months, atleast, to add the cereal, just to be sure that his tummy may be able to handle it.

My daughter was extrememely constipated on rice cereal, so know that you might be introducing more problems than you are fixing. There are lots of people who say you shouldn't start kids on grains until later than the usual 4 to 6 months because their tummies aren't equipped to handle it yet...they recommend starting with fruits and veggies, which I know is no help to you. There is a question about whether starting solids too soon causes food allergies, but now they are questioning whether waiting too long makes it worse....no one really knows........

It's not a good idea to start cereal so young. Babies - human and animal- were meant to start their lives consuming only milk (or formula). His tummy is not ready to process "food".

Wow I am surprised at all the moms saying no. I started my son on a tsp of rice cereal per 4 oz of formula at 4 weeks old. He had acid reflux and thickening up the formula a little helped a lot. I never had any issues with it giving him an upset tummy--but he did puke non-stop anyway so I probably wouldn't have known! He puked LESS with it added though. ?? Good luck!

all babies are different. My first born was not getting full on formula alone and I gave him cereal at about 10 weeks. He slept great and actually had less spitting up and stomach issues. He had no problems digesting it at all. I think it can't hurt to try it and if it doesn't help then wait a few weeks and try it again.

You know what's best for your baby. If you feel he needs more, by all means add a little "rice" cereal to his bottle. Make sure the hole in the nipple is big enough. Don't make it too thick. My first daughter was very colicy. At seven weeks she was taking a lilttle cereal in her bottles and it made all the difference in the world. Good luck.

My son too is on nutramigen works great but doesnt keep them full long I would agree way to early to start on cereal.My son was 4 months when I started feeding him a little rice cereal at that point we were at 6-8 oz every 2-3 hours...I say just keep giving him the bottle...good luck

If his stomach is so sensitive then no you do not need to start cereal. He will end up with a major stomach ache and you will be back to square one. Babies are supposed to feed every 3-4 hours. Maybe you should ask the doctor about it, as if it is okay to start feeding him more formula in one sitting. It seems like he is overeating at this point. I would get it checked out.

I don't use Nutramigen, But I use Similac Neosure (which is a preterm infant formula that has a high content of everything you can think of. My son was born nearly 2 month premature.) They actually started putting cereal into his bottles at the NICU once they took out the feeding tube and it was no longer needed. I have continued to put cereal in his bottle under advice from the NICU and his doctor, because of severe GERD.
Sense Nurtramigen is a hypoallergenic formula if your son has allergies I would say no. But if he is just on it for the colic I would say call his doctors office and ask the nurse or the doctor about putting cereal into his bottle.
Of course depending on the cereal you use (I use Gerber mixed grain cereal...I have heard rice isn't that great.) It will put extra calories and vitamins and minerals into his diet. Which is good for an under weight baby but not so much for a normal or over weight baby.
If you do decide to start putting cereal in his bottles you'll have to buy a faster flow nipple for the bottles and if he isn't really good at eating from the slower flow I wouldn't suggest doing it either. You'll have to be careful with how much cereal you put in the bottle because it expands (at least the stuff I use does) so if you use to much the bottle has to be remade. Sense my son is also still eating 6-7 times a day at 6 oz each time I don't even put a whole teaspoon it. It's like half of that. Or maybe a bit more then half. Good luck I hope this helped. =)

1 / 3