Tonsillitis That Will Not Go Away!

I seem to have a case of tonsillitis that will not go away.

Has anyone else suffered with this as an adult? It is my second case in about six months...but this time I have taken 3 rounds of antibiotics and my throat is still sore.

I am calling my doctor's office later this morning...but I am miserable and it has been 3.5 weeks. I would just like one day of not having to suck on throat lozenges and take Advil.

It is not as bad as when I first went to the doctor, could barely swallow and my glands were so big you could see them on the outside of my neck without having to touch them. But it is sore when I swallow and annoying.

Any advice?

I went through a spell in my 20's with tonsillitis. They generally will not remove an adults tonsils because of the increased risk of strep throat. I cant remember exactly, but I want to say that I went through about 3 years and got this irritating thing 6 or 7 times. I was also told that they are not quick to remove tonsils from a child (like they used too) For what its worth, after going through this so much in my life, I am 37 now and would have to guess it hasnt happened to me for 10 years or so.
HOPE YOU FEEL BETTER!!!
M. :)

you need to have your doctor take a serious look at you my grandmother had a bout with this and it turned out she had stage one non hodkin lymphoma that attacked her tonsil... they had tryed the traditional methods for relieving the tonsilitis but it wouldn't go away..and thru further testin they found the cancer.. i don't mean to scare you but it is a possibility that needs to be checked out..

I had a similar problem with my kids. I had forgotten to throw away their toothbrush and replace it with a new one.My dental hygenist said to replace toothbrushes with a new one when you have a cold,strep throat,stomach virus,tonsillitis,etc. Hope this helps!

Dear M., One thing to consider is that your body may be immune to your antibiotics. Have they cultured your throat for any other problems? It does seem a little too long to be experiencing this terrible issue. I'm sure it brings you down and makes it hard to be at your full potential. You might think about getting a second opinion from another Dr. Do you have any problems with allergies which would cause constant drainage and make your throat sore? These are just a few ideas to think about. I hope you start feeling better very soon.
M. B. Mother of 2.

WOW M., you have had a lot of advice. For what it is worth. I would try the natural remedy that another respond gave you. If that does not work, then I would have them out. I was on antibiotics for longer before I asked about having them out and had no problem with the ENT provider doing it with in 2wks. I had mind out last year and I have not had a problem since. I am at the great age of 55. It was not easy but you can do it. I ate a lot of ice and frozen type of juices. The idea is to drink, drink and drink. As a side note--> I lost 10 lbs during the 2wks. My only poblem now is every now and then I get a tickle in the back on the left side where my tonsil was before. Not a bad trade off. But I am an advocate for natural remedies before surgery. Good luck and God Bless.
S.--stepmother of 4 and a wonderful God sent husband.

Do check into that cancer thing, I never heard of it, but it is important to note. More likely, you are just not respondig to the anti-biotic and may have to use a stronger/different one.

I agree with the other posters to get them out. I got mine out when I was 21 and have never had strep again (I got it every year at least once since I was a kid). The bad thing for me was the anesthesia which made me sick when I was coming out of it. It is worth it though, especially when life doesn't stop when Mommy is sick! Good Luck and feel better.

I had that as a young adult. Some things you may not know are that you should get a new tooth brush after 24 hours of being on the antibiotic. Do you have a dog? Dogs can carry strep, which is tonsillitis. Also, do you have a dishwasher? I was told once that the rubber seal on the door can capture the strep and keep putting it into the water and onto the dishes. You may need to change it. The last thing is that I would ask for a shot. They work faster and stay in your system longer. They hurt pretty bad but are worth it in the long run. Good luck!!!

You need a referral to an ear, nose and throat specialist. That person is probably going to suggest you have your tonsils removed. It is a very common surgery with limited hospital time (i believe it can even be done as outpatient surgery nowadays...Once done your throat will be sore and scratchy for a few day or a week but after that it will be fine..

1 / 3