Tonsillectomy for a 2-Year-old?

Hi all,

My daughter just turned 2 in December, and we have been noticing for several months that she snores very loudly and often gags or coughs in her sleep. She also wakes frequently and changes her position a lot and seems tired in the morning. I could see that her tonsils looked large, but she has never had any problems with throat or ear infections. We saw an ENT specialist last week who took one look and said that she needed to have them removed, they are so big that they are touching each other. Both my husband and father had their tonsils out, but they were older at the time. I am just wondering, does anyone have experience with this type of surgery in a child that is so young? Thanks!

Thank you to everyone for your input. It seems like the majority of you have had pretty positive experience with tonsillectomy, and it really helps to know that we can do something that will help our daughter sleep better. Even though I still don't like the idea of doing anything that will cause her pain, no matter how long it lasts, the long term benefits for her have to come first. If anyone has suggestions on how to help her feel better while she is healing, I welcome those too. Again, thank you all so much for your time and caring!

My son had the same problem. He had his tonsils out last summer and it was the best thing we did for him. He bounced back very quickly (literally was outside playing the same day I brought him home). I would highly recommend it. It worked wonders for us. We went to Akron ENT over by City Hospital. They were very good.

Hi, my daughter had them out at 2 and her adnoids. Her tonsils where so large too that she could hardly breath! She has done sooo much better since then and grown like a weed! If you have any more questions please email me at ____@____.com.
Thanks
jo

I would recommend it. My daughter had her tonsils out around this age and the best thing is that they won't even feel any pain at all. I just recently had my tonsils out at 33 yrs. old and I was out for 2 weeks. My daughter did great and about after a day or so, she was back to normal! My daughter had enlarged tonsils and snored loudly too. I didn't have a second opinion because the doctor that we had was the best around so I certainly did my research and found out nothing compared to what the doctor had previously told me. We used Dr. Cotton (Children's Hospital) and he and his team was excellent!! Good Luck!

Yes, yes, yes. But do they whole thing at once. My daughter had the same problem and we just had her adnoild removed, then 2 years later we were back at Childrens to remove her Tonsils. She bounced back from the Surger really quick and at that age popcicles for a meal what more could they ask for? Hope that everything works out Ok
BB

Hello,

Listen to your ENT, My son goes and sees doctor rubin in Perrysburg. He has treated my husband and my son. My son just turned 2 as well but has not had to have his tonsils out yet but Dr. Rubin had helped with his ear tubes. My son has had no more ear infections sence they were put in( knock on wood).

My daughter had them out at 2 and my son at 1. It's actually more stressful for you than them!!My daughter's were the same as your child just no snoring. My son was developing apnea and snored like a frieght train!! He also was tired all the time. It was the best thing I did for them!!!

My daughter had her tonsils out right after her 3rd Birthday and the doctor did a fantastic job she had alot of problems with her health and eating habits before and she is six now and is hardly ever sick and she has a very healthy appetite. If they are touching each other you do want them removed as soon as possible you will be happy and so will your child.

I would do some research on this. I am learning in anatomy and physiology that your tonsils are very important because they are part of your lymphatic system which fights infections. Can they just ermove one and not the other? Good luck.

My best friends little girl had to have her tonsils removed also not because of infections but because they were constricting her airway. All I have ever heard is that with any procedure, the earlier it is done the better because younger patients heal faster. I can tell you that it has made a world of differnce for Emily. She sleeps so much better and even speaks easier. Her voice was getting very raspy from them. She was about 5 when she finally had it done and did very well with it. Best of Luck to you.

1 / 3