Tomato Allergy

Is there anyone out there with a child who has tomato allergies? We are pretty sure that my son Zeke has a tomato allergy. We have asked his allergist and ped. We have done the allergy tests, and when he eats pizza or spaghetti and only when the sauce comes in contact with his skin, he has a breakout. He does have eczema, and its like it flares up really really bad. All the docs said we could do is give him bendryl if he eats it. I am allergic to pretty much everything under the sun. My husband has seasonal allergies, and we both have asthma. My poor kids right!! If you son or daughter has the allergy to tomato is there any alternatives you give. He loves pizza and spaghetti!! :-( TIA

I have a son who isnt allergic, but dislikes tomato sauce of any kind. What I do for him is fix him an alfredo sauce on the nights we have spaghetti. You can also order pizza that way. You may try that, unless he had other allergies that prevent him from having parmesan cheese and milk products.

Tomato is incredibly acidic. If he was allergic to it, I would think his stomach would react more than his skin. It may just be that he has sensitive skin. Does he have this reaction to soups, ketchup, anything else with tomatoes? Also, keep an eye on whatever detergents and fabric softeners you may be using. They can irritate skin to no end. Good luck!

Thankfully my children are NOT allergic to tomatoes, but I am. I eat pizza without sauce and make my spaghetti separate from everyone elses and just have butter and cheese with mine. Hope this helps.

You don't even HAVE to have sauce on a pizza, my kids like just cheese on it. But there are things like alfredo sauce you can sub. Have you tried just a tomato paste- pureed cooked tomatos that have no spices or corn syrup or perservatives or dye or MSG? Those are all possible allergens. I am allergic to acidic things and raw tomatoes were a problem when I was a child, but cooked was OK. However, my children are allergic to corn syrup and some perservatives. they break out with pancake syrup and salad dressing.

You could also try an all natural sauce like Newmans Own that might help you determine what it is that he is actually allergic to (and it could definitely be tomatoes!)

I have heard of a pizza that has a white sauce on it as opposed to the tomato sauce. I think it must be like an alfredo sauce that some Italian dishes have in it.

As for the spaghetti, maybe try just putting butter and parm. cheese on it. I know, not very tasty, but that's all that I can think of to do.

Maybe search google for some alternatives. That's helped me a lot in the past.

I hope this helps but my daughter had the same prob when anything tomato base go on her skin, but she could eat it with no problems. I asked her doc and she said that it wasnt an allergy at all, but instead the reaction is because of the acidity in the tomato. she reconmended using a bigger bib and hydracortizone cream if it did touch. its just a combo of acidic tomato sauce and sensitive baby skin. Good luck

My husband was testing when he was a child for tomato allergies and it came back that he was. My mother in law never changed anything about her cooking and just kept giving it to him. He eventually grew out of it. I hope this helps.

My son has the same problem but with mint. It only bothers his skin. he can eat it but if he gets it on his skin it turns red and angry looking. My Doctor said the same thing. I just try to keep him away from the skin contact. Unfortunately, he is a boy and is messy. Soap and water do the trick. Wash area immediately after contact (dinner), let dry completely and apply cream only as necessary. As long as it doesn't make him congested, itchy/watery eyes, etc. I say let him eat Italian!

My sister had the same situation. When she was around 8 or 9 years old, we found out she was allergic to tomatoes. The thing is, she was allergic to red tomatoes, but not the yellow tomatoes, which have less acid. For a while, my parents just took her off red tomatoes completely (about 1 year), but she could still have yellow ones. I don't know if you could find ready-made yellow tomato spaghetti sauce, but if not, you could always make a little from fresh yellow tomatoes--just for him! Then, not only will he be happy, he'll feel special, too! After the 1 year when my sister didn't have tomatoes, my parents started letting her have little doses again. She hasn't broken out since.

(Allergies show up when your body has too much of a concentration of that thing. In your son's case, loving tomato sauce and having it so often has set off his body's defense system, telling you that it's too much. Try the yellow tomatoes for a while, then when the allergic reaction stops, make sure he gets a moderate dosage of red tomatoes, but not too much.)

1 / 3