Toenail Questions

I have a 22 mo. old son who is very happy and healthy, but has a strange toenail thing. Two nails on one foot and one on the other are thicker than the rest of his nails and are a tiny bit discolored. They don't seem to cause him any problems, so I'm not extremely worried about them, but I have only seen this kind of thing on older adults. I'm wondering if anyone else has ever seen this with their own child and if so, do you have any tips on maintaining them. They are extremely hard to cut because of the thickness. Thanks for any insight you all may have.

I noticed I have one toenail that has developed this as well, so I found that it is a fungus that causes this. I bought some tea tree oil and am applying it daily to get rid of it. Tea tree oil is very good at killing unwanted bacterias and fungi with no dangerous components. Fungi do take sometimes months to go away so it won't be as quick as we would hope.

I have a 2 1/2 year old son who has really thick toenails on his little toes -- just the two little toes. Since he was born, I have had to be careful not to cut them too short because they will bleed. They also don't grow as fast as the others. I think the slight yellowish is just because they are thick, but I'm following your string to see what others say.

Are the double toenails on the pinky toe? I have that and then the toe next to the pinky has a thicker nail? I have always had that on both feet. My mother always cut my nails after I had a soak in the tub. Then the nails are softer and much easier to cut.

Yes, my daughter has this & it's genetic. Her dad has the same condition, I always thought he had a nail fungus until we had her & she got the same toe nails.

Just clip carefully like normal.

Hi K.:

I haven't read any of the other responses, but what you describe could well be a fungus. Most older people who have discoloration or thicker toenales actually have a fungus, which isn't anything too bad. Talk to your pediatrician at yoru next visit and he might check if it is actually a fungus. Nail fungi are easily treatable with an at-home kit (thanks for a sister in the medical field!).

Cheers S.

Could be fungus. You should show it to his doctor.

My daughter also has this on her third toes. It is genetic---her father has the same thing on the same toes. Just have to be careful when clipping.

My 'pinky toes' are thicker than the others, particularly on the outer edges of my feet. It's not fungal (at least in my case), just a strange and genetic abnormality that has caused my no issues (except getting nail polish to lay flat and pretty). Be careful when you clip the nails, making sure you're not cutting skin as well - it's easy to do on these funky nails. I've always been self-conscious of my feet, partly because of this, and when I was younger I really did think it was a fungus I just couldn't get rid of. It's not. (Like I said, at least in my case.) As others have said, talk with your ped, it's not something you want to overlook, but it doesn't sound like a big deal, either. Good luck!

1 / 3