Toddler with Weak Immune System - Help!

My 18 month old has been getting sick very often since he turned 12 mos. He has had several stomach flus, upper respiratory infections, ear infections and finally an awful reaction to a sickness called HSP. He gets sick at least once a month. His Dr. is suggesting that I take him to a Infectious Disease Specialist, which I am very hesitant to do knowing the long and invasive battery of tests that they would put him through. Thats the last thing his little body needs right now.

So my question here is twofold:
1. Do you think this is normal? Are other children at this age, at this time of the year, getting sick this often?
2. Do you have any suggestions of things I can do to boost his immune system or environmental factors I can eliminate? My first step is taking him to a Naturopath next week and get him on some vitamins.
I’m a SAHM so he is only being exposed to other children a few hours a week at a play date or a play area. I am diligent about washing our hands after we go out. He still nurses around 5-6 times a day. I feed him a very balanced, healthy and organic diet. He never eats sweets or processed foods, it’s all fresh all the time and he is a great eater when he isn’t sick. Lots and lots of fruits and veggies. He doesn't eat eggs since he has a mild allergy, and I minimize the amount of dairy he gets. He'll get a piece of cheese every once in a while, but other than that I make sure he eats lots of green leafy veggies. He gets lots of play time and sunlight. We have a hepa filter running in his room in case there is an allergen in the air. We do have cats, but I try to keep them out of the sleeping areas.
I should note that not only is he thriving in terms of weight and development, but he is in the 100% for height and weight. He’s a big, big guy and from the outside does not look at all as if he is sickly.
What else can I do? I feel like I am missing something, or that I am not doing something for him that I should. I just want him to feel good for a few months, it breaks my heart to see him sick.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I saw a miracle in my very sick baby by taking her to my chiropractor. I was venting one day to him about all the specialists I was taking her to and she was just getting worse. He told me to bring her in. I was very skeptical, but did. He saw her 3 times a week for a month. By the end of that month, she was off all of her meds, and has never had anything more than a little scratchy throat since. She is almost 9 now! I take her in once every other month, just to keep her healthy, and she is!

I would love to help! We have amazing vitamins and reduce toxins in the home! Shoot me a message and we can chat!

HI A.,

You've covered a lot of ground! The other things you should do is to detox your home...completely, take him to an upper cervical chiropractor and personally I would get rid of the cats (sorry but they carry strange things and they're sometimes hard to identify.)

Detoxing (not just replacing your chemicals) can be simple and inexpensive and I can walk you through what I did if you're interested. If you don't have a chiropractor, you can go to ucspine.com and look one up in your area. When you interview one to be your practitioner make sure they understand how chiropractic strengthens the immune system. If they don't know, then you're in the wrong place and you need to look for another one.

Was he given antibiotics for the infections he had? Antibiotics may fix a certain problem but they also weaken the immune system and set your little one up to get sick again...and easier every time.

When you go to the naturopath, make sure any vitamins given are absorbable and ask what type of delivery system they have. Sulfonate and gluconate systems are dangerous, chelate is better, oligo is great.

I'm being specific because my family went through the same exact thing. We don't get sick anymore.

Regards,

Have you taken him off of wheat and dairy? These two can cause a ton of illness issues. They tear down the immune system so much if he is allergic to them. We just figured this out with my baby and it has made a huge difference. I was giving him amazing supplements ( I know b/c my girls have yet to get sick from infancy to 10 years old - not a cold, flu bug, ear ache, nothing). But it was not working for my little guy. Now that we have eliminated the offensive food, he is doing fantastic. I still give him the supplements b/c I want him to be as healthy as the girls. But I was poisoning him at the same time. That doesn't work. :)

It sounds like you are a great mom to your son. I think the naturalpath is a great idea. My friend is one and she has a device that can help her pinpoint problems and deficiencies as well as tell you how much of a supplement you need to take.
I would recommend that you look into Shaklee's vitamins. They literally saved my life. They are the number one seller of natural supplements and have more peer-reviewed research than all other supplement companines combined. But somehow they seem to be unknown.
They also make great non toxic cleaners.
If you would like to know more about Shaklee, let me know. I can also direct you to a free website where you can listen to audios on health issues.
Good luck and God bless.
V.

l

Updated

My kids have been taking Juice Plus for almost 7 years now. My son went through the same thing as a baby. www.StudiesOnJuicePlus.com It is 17 different fruits and veggies in a soft chew or capsule. Check out the published, peer reviewed studies on what it does for the immune system. My son just went to his 8 year old well visit last week and the nurse said "we have not seen you since your last well visit." That was music to my ears.
Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

seems to me you're doing everything right, the only thing that stands out in your post, is the mention of HSP.

Does your son have HSP?? How was he diagnosed??

Because all the things you mention your son suffering from seem as if they could be linked to HSP and if this is the case, I would recommend looking for a pediatric rheumatologist or a rheumatologist with experience treating children, because if ioubare able to get your sons HSP under control you may find all the symptomatic ilnesses he has been suffering from, may go away.

Here is awonderful site I found: http://www.hspsupport.org/main/index.html?agreecheck=on

you may find some answers here, in any case good luck to you and your little guy, I hope he feels well soon!!!

All my best,
A. m. :)

You are doing a great job. Sometimes kids just get sick- a lot. I think talking to a naturopath is a great idea. You don't mention how old your son is, but I think it's great that you are still nursing him. You really are doing more than most! The only things I would suggest is looking at your household cleaners- are you using safe, natural ones, or lots of bleach, etc? That can make a huge difference. I know of a family whose child had asthma, though no one in their families had it, and they found out it was a reaction to their toxic cleaners. They changed them, and he was no longer hospitalized for asthma.
I would also suggest seeing a pediatric chiropractor. They can do a TON to help kids whose systems are overloaded, or having a hard time. This website can help- http://icpa4kids.com/index.php. I had my son see a chiropractor from 1month- 1 year. It was very helpful.
Don't be afraid to let him get dirty, play outside, and play with other kids. I think most kids go through a period of getting sick a bit and building up their immune system. Every time my son gets a virus, I remind myself that he won't get it again, because he's built up his natural immunities. The worst thing parents can do is keep their homes pristine and "free" from germs. Kids' bodies need germs around to know what to fight off, otherwise, they get a lot of autoimmune problems because their bodies aren't sure what to fight. Do some reading- you'll find that kids that grow up on farms have the strongest immune systems, BECAUSE of what they are exposed to on a daily basis. So take him to a petting zoo, get him out and about, and try to relax a bit and know that you are doing a lot to help him. :)

Sorry to be so long-winded here. Two other suggestions to try- probiotics, and fish oil every day. Cannot hurt, but can help! :)

Good luck to all of you!
Barefoot Books Ambassador
www.ReadandGrow.com

Hi! Talking to a naturopath is a good idea. I would also look into food sensitivities (as opposed to food allergies). Do the IgG ELISA test. My son was doing well up till about 18 months - 75-percentile in height for his age but then started slipping down the growth chart to 0-percentile at age 3, when I flipped. Pediatrician kept assuring me it was normal for the slower growth rate and he looked healthy, not skinny at all. Right before he turned 3, he started getting a high fever, stomach pains, cold and cough every 2 to 3 weeks. Turned out that he was highly sensitive to diary, egg and gluten. None of these sensitivities showed up on any of the other allergy tests (skin prick and IgA). After I cut these out, my son was strong as a horse for over a year (no sniffles, no illness) and started gaining on the growth chart again. He had an ear infection recently when I tried reintroducing his allergic foods. BTW, the gluten didn't show up too prominently on his tests, but I went with my gut feel in cutting it out and still believe it was the right thing to do. When our immunity is high, we don't get sick. Clearly something is undermining your son's immunity. The naturopath should be able to help. Good luck.

1 / 3