Toddler with Smelly Breath

My daughter is 17 months old and had breath that could peel the paint off of walls! It's awful! It smells like morning breath ALL day long. We brush her teeth, gums and tongue two times a day, sometimes 3 times. I use the toddler toothpaste with out the flouride. She drinks lots of water throughout the day, 3 cups of milk (breakfast, lunch, dinner) and 1/2 cup of juice a day. The food she's eating is not overly smelly or anything. She is cutting teeth, but I don't know if that would cause the smelly breath. She's not sick or anything else. She has a check up in a few weeks and I'm just wondering if this is something I should be concerned about.

****I should mention that she doesn't have any symptoms of GERD, reflux or milk allergy.********

While I appreciate mom owned businesses, I'm not looking to buy anything. Thank you all in advance for your help.

This sounds like a stomach problem. I have been bouting this since childhood. I have been told it has to do with the digestion of foods.

She might have something stuck in her nose. Has she ever stuck anything in her nose that you know of? a friend of mine's son had the same problem and they found out that he had a tiny peice of styrofoam in his nose. I hope thats not the case but I hope it helps.

When my daughter was aroun 9 months she developed very bad breath and she was diagnosed with GERD. Prevacid fixed it and taking her off dairy for a year.
Amy

Ditto to D Q 's advice, I taught my son how to spit the toothpaste out too, and bought the minty stuff, and kids mouthwash. That really worked! good luck!!

The cutting teeth could have something to do with it. Has she had any issues with refulx? There is a condition called GERD that is related to reflux and one of the typical symptoms is really bad breath.

digestive problems are a big cause of bad breath--acid reflux as one mom said, constipation can be a cause. Food allergies are another problem--which of course could cause the reflux and bowel problems. dairy products are a big allergen--you said 3 cups of milk a day--that could be the problem. Try giving your daughter probiotics--most of us need them--esp if she has been on anti-biotics or was bottle fed.

I had the same problem with my kids. I stopped using the toddler toothpaste. I taught my kids how to spit out their toothpaste at an early age and then switched them to regular minty toothpaste. It's the only thing that works. I don't even use the berry or bubble gum flavored because you will have the same results as the toddler toothpaste.

Only other thing I know of is veggie burgers. My daughter used to eat these frequently and that was a MAJOR side effect!!

My daughter was the same way. Her pediatrician said once we started using the toothpaste w/ fluoride it would be better. It was. I think at 17 months they are old enough. Check the label because I can't remember.

Hi S.... My son had the same problem for a few months. I just attributed it to allergies because he always had alot of drainage. Come to find out his tonsils were HUGE and his right tonsil was embedded into his neck muscles. He had his tonsils and adenoids removed-- problem solved! Even if her tonsils don't look big by looking into her throat, they could be hiding. Have her ped check her tonsils and/or refer her to a good ENT in your area.

You should talk to a good homeopath. That is part of the "chronic" condition of the child. It doesn't mean the child is unhealthy, but rather the body is throwing off a symptom to let you know something is going to happen in the future.

1 / 3