Toddler with Rash on Back and Stomach

My 14 month old son has broken out in some type of rash with little pin size dots all over his stomach and back. It doesn't seem to bother him at all, but while giving him a bath the dots felt a little bit raised. The only thing new and different he has had in the past two days was some orange Hi-c watered down.

Has he recently been on anti-biotics? could be an allergic reaction. Children often will respond to the meds 7-10 after the first dose was given, with hives.

Could be a similar reaction to some other thing he has ingested or come in contact with. Benadryl will usually take care of that but I'd have the pediatrician look at it before you medicate it so that it can be identified.

P.

could be heat rash or could be flea bites or some other bug type bites. Did he get hot recently? Sounds like heat rash. Just bathe and then put a easy cream like Aveeno on it and see how it goes.

My daughter had a similar rash. We found out it was from her eating too many tomatoes. The acid in the food made her break out. I would suggest discontinuing the Hi-C to see if the rash goes away.

if it isn;t heat rash...it could be ezcema....or at least that is what our ped told us

H.
Your wonderful Son might be reating to the Vitamin C Or possibly the water. You also might be using too much soap or bleach in his cloths. I hope you can use these ideas.
Take care.

Has your son been eating and drinking? If not, it could be strep throat. My son stopped wanting to eat or drink when he would get a sore throat. Sometimes strep can cause the kind of rash you are describing. If that is the case, he will need an antibiotic.

P.

sounds like roseolla. Not serious, but your pediatrician may prescribe medications. It's another one of those mysterious childhood diseases like chicken pox.
only one of my four children got it, so it must not be very contagious. My daughter didn't seem uncomfortable, but her skin was irritated, splotchy and red. It's been a long time, but I think she got an antibiotic to help her fight it off.

Sounds like heat rash.

did you notice one particular spot where it started first, probably the size of a nickel for a few days? If so, then my son had the same rash about a month ago; it's called pityriasis rosea, starts off with a patchy area that turns to dry scaly skin in one spot and within 5 days spreads on back and stomach and MAYBE the arms, but not always. I just put Ammens medicated powder (or any medicated powder) in his bath and rubbed it on him and it went away within a couple days. If it's pityriasis rosea, it's not serious, there's no cure, it just runs it's course. It may get a little itchy towards the end of it all, but shouldn't bother him much. hope that helps, good luck!

Hello!
It could be a reaction to Red6 food dye. I do know that that dyeis in orange drinks like that...it is actually very common.
Also, at that age, if back teeth should be trying to break through & he is a bit slobbery, it could be as simple as a heat rash (or of course if you live in the south as I do)...keep it dry & not wet & (though a thick lotion or cream helps but do not cover..air is best)it will improve almost overnight!!
Hope this helps!

My 14 month old son had the same thing earlier this summer. His doctor said that it was just heat rash. To let him "air out" a little bit, and he prescribed "Elidel". He said that it also could be just allergies, like a little bit of dermititus...nothing to be concerned about. I filled the script, and used it as prescibed, and it went away within 48 hours. He also had his 1 year shots, and where they gave him all his shots, there was a red, raised, itchy, huge triangle surrounding the entire area. That also worked on that as well. (The doc also said to put it on there also.) Just a little forwarning, for a small tube, it was $102.00. So, very expensive...but you don't need much at all...thankfully! Hope all is well, and your little guy gets better.

I'm not a doctor or anything but usually during the summer my son will break out in rashes off and on. His are heat rashes, he has very sensitive skin.

Hope it's better soon!

I would stop the Hi-C drink. Vitamen c can give a rash. Good luck

take him to the doc could be strep

Your little one may be reacting to the laundry detergent. You may want to try Dreft or a similar mild detergent.

Or it could be the soap or shampoo you are using on your little one. Try Johnson's baby shampoo and Basis soap. Basis is what Vanderbilt used on the preemies when my sister in law was in the neonatal intensive care unit.

Or you little one may be having an alergic reaction to something in the HiC.

Try eliminating HiC from the diet and changing soap, shampoo, and laundry detergent and see if it gets better. If it does not get better it may be time to go see your child's pediatrician.

Here is a question: has your toddler been swimming lately?
I know my son reacted to chlorine and got bumps all over him. The instructor said we had to rinse him before he got in the poop and immediately after, that helped.

The other thing that could cause bumps on the body like that is antibiotic raction, changing detergents, etc.

Ask your doctor what to put on it, but usually a cortizone type cream is what they will recommend.

If you think back over the last few days...other than food what new things might he have been exposed to?

My younger son had that once when I switched laundry detergents. I washed his clothes for a week in the old stuff and it went away. Then I just washed his clothes in the new stuff along with all the rest of the family's clothes and he got it back again, but it went away in a couple of weeks.

If you've tried any new topical products on him (soap, baby shampoo, anything) or on your clothes -- or perhaps you've gotten a new perfume for yourself, and hugged him or something, that might be able to do it.

I'd check the artificial ingredients in orange Hi-C. Both my older son and I are allergic to red dye #40 (it makes our noses itch if we get it on them), and sometimes it makes my stomach hurt; but it might cause a topical rash in other people. Think of it this way -- some people are allergic to peanuts and nearly die, while others may get a rash, and most people don't have a reaction at all. The same thing can cause different types of allergic reactions in different people.

It might be a heat rash too, and you can sprinkle corn starch on the affected areas to help keep his skin cool and comfortable and non-sweaty.

Hi H.! Your son might be having an allergic reaction from the Hi-C if that is the only thing different in the past couple of days. But, as I reading your question, one thing popped into my head. Has your son had any shots within the past week of week in a half? When my daughter had one set of her shots about 6 or 7 days later she broke out with a rash on her belly and her back. I called the doctor and they told me it was from one of the shots. Sorry, but I don't remember which shot it was. I had also talked to a friend of mine and she said her daughter did the same thing after the same shot.

C. H.

There is something called roseola. Did he spike a fever a couple days ago and then it went away? My daughter had this when she was about 2 yrs. She had a high fever then it was gone like magic. Then 2 or 3 days later had a rash like you described and then it was gone too. I don't think it's anything to worry about but call your ped.

Hi, I have 4 boys and as babies/toddlers 2 of them frequently broke out in heat rashes in the summer if they got hot/sweaty. It didn't seem to bother them and usually went away within a day or two. I found that putting a little bit of baby powder on it helped.

Hi H.,
Definitely talk to your pediatrician. My son had the same type of rash - I took him to the doctor and it turned out that he had strep throat. Good luck!
Cyndi

Sounds a lot like Roseola - all three of mine have had it at some point. It's not serious and it will go away on its own - the rash comes at the end so it's already nearly run its course most likely.

I don't know if this will help, but when my son was 2 years old (he is 16 now) I figured out that he was hypersensitive to red food coloring because of how he reacted to orange Hi-c. It makes him hyper and emotional, and red food coloring still does that to him (on the rare occasion that he still accidentally gets it).

So, I just thought it might be possible that your son is hypersensitive to the red food coloring (or something else in the Hi-c) but just in a different way.

Probably a heat rash. But it could be an allergic reaction. My dad also had a rash like that, the Dr prescribed him some cream to put on it, and it made it worse. Now he's taking the steroids that the Dr also prescribed for him, but he had refused to take before.. he's doing much better. don't put any hydro cortisone cream on it, it could very well make it worse. Try some calamine lotion for a few days.. that could help, if it doesn't improve with that, go to the Dr.

PS You didn't mention if someone babysat him or not but it's possible that some-one could've washed his clothes or bathed him in a new soap. just another avenue to think about......