Toddler with Pellet Poops

My son is 22 months old and since birth about 90% of his bowel movements are little hard pellets. We have taken him to the doctor and they said not to worry just give him more juice and maybe prunes. Nothing seems to work and I am just really getting worried because it is not changing and it is with everything he eats. Has anyone else had this and what did you do? Thanks for all your help

my now 5 old daughter had pellet poops since birth and she has been completly healthy, did not change her diet, she did potty train easily. Now her poops are fine. Some say it is not drinking enough water, give him more water if you are concerned. hope this helps

my 26 month old son has the same problem but we don't do anything about it, as you said the dr's said it is fine but i have noticed that pedia sure softens it up and is somewhat normal.

Our 3 year old had the same prob...her ped told us to try apple juice...then pear juice....then prune juice....each one for a week...and in that order....also to cut back on milk as well.....good luck

It sounds like he's dehydrated. Juice and prunes could help but nothing substitutes good old fashioned WATER! Most Americans are seriously dehydrated and don't realize all the effects that can have on the body. Whenever I'm constipated, I know I need to drink more water.

My daughter, now 3, is on maralax. She has been constipated eversence she started solids at 6months. They have tested her for everything and they couldn't find anything.
Maralax was the only thing that worked for. Good Luck!

Is there a naturopath in your area? This sounds to me like a food sensitivity and laxatives are relieving the symptoms but not treating the condition. Try to feed him 100% whole grains instead of white rice or white bread, and serve lots of fruit, but if he is constipated due to another food sensitivity, you need to find out what that is. A naturopathic physician may be more willing to look for the cause of the pellet poop and treat the cause rather than the symptoms. Good luck!

Hi T.,
My son was having lots of hard bowel movements until I introduced Pear Juice into his diet. I was told to give him apple and prunes also but pear juice is what seems to work for him. I give him some at least every other day and it seems to help him. And I have also stopped giving him so much milk and replaced it with more water. Hope this helps.

Yes, My daughter has always had that problems she has to take glyclolax (maralax) about three times a week. She use to take it everyday but it gets better the older she gets. Her daughter stated when she was one that her digestive system was not yet completely developed. She was constipated all the time and when she did use the bathroom her bowls were very hard. I remember crying with her because she could not pass her bowls. When she was younger everytime she makes a bowl she uses all her energy and falls to sleep. It made me feel so bad until her docter gave her some medication. Talk to you docter about it. It is just a stool softner not a laxative. Her bowls are not runny is just makes it regular and she goes regular with no problems

1 / 3