Toddler with Peeling Toes

Not sure if I should take my 2 year old to the doctor for a small skin problem. The skin on the ends of all of her toes is peeling. I noticed it and started to put some almond oil on it but now she knows its there and she is picking at it constantly. I am afraid she is going to pick too far and it will hurt. Anyone ever had this problem? Any suggestions? Or should I take her to the doctor.
She has not and any rash or fever in the past year and it doesn't seem to bother her.

I was going to post about this too! My daughter occasionally will get peeling toes and feet and I dont know why! They dont smell bad or seem like a fungus. When this happens I lotion up her feet really good (I dont even rub it all the way in) and stick old socks on over the lotion at bed time. A couple days of this and her feet are usually good as new! Hope this helps! Good Luck!

I'd try putting triple antibiotic on the little toes after she falls asleep and covering with socks!
P.

She is fine this happens to my kiddos from the friction of their shoes rubbing sweaty feet its just like being in bath water for to long and your fingers and toes get pruned up.Good idea to rub lotion on them if they look raw meaning blister like her shoes may be to tight and causing an infection or athelets foot.

It could be athletes foot. I'd take her to the doctor just to be safe.

My children often go through this. It was explained to me as they are going through a growth spurt, and it is common for their feet to peel during this time because they are sort of growing out of their skin. It should stop, but it may reoccur. If it doesn't stop then I'd probably take your child in, but from what I've been told it is very common. Hope this helps.

I'd check with the Dr. and make sure you don't have athlete's foot or something. But other than that, why not get one of those foot scrubs? The ones that are really like a spa treatment and rub that into her feet and then put lotion on them...I would think the pumice like effect would exfoliate the extra skin and take care of the problem...of course, you can make it the ultimate spa experience and then put some polish on the tootsies too! ;) If the exfoliating doesn't do the trick you may want to get a trimmer and just cut the dead skin off so she doesn't tear at it...because like you said...it will hurt when she does.

My children have also had this issue. With my 7 yo son it seems to be like many of the others' responses - due to sweaty or wet feet. It comes and goes.
With my 2 1/2 yr old daughter though it was a little different. I actually noticed light brown speckles first on her big toe, then several days later speckles on other toes and bottom of her foot, then her skin was looking wrinkly and red, and then began to peel. I couldn't get the peeling to stop, so I took her to the Dr. and she said it was a type of eczema. A couple weeks of cream and lotion and it cleared up. The cream they told me to put on it was prescription Triamcinolone Acetonide Cream USP, 0.1%. After I bought it at the pharmacy I saw that it was the same cream we had used for mine & my son's poison ivy just a couple months earlier. I stopped the cream and used Eucerin lotion once the redness went away.
I know that you didn't mention anything about speckles or redness, but maybe it will help someone else reading this. :)
I wouldn't worry, although I remember how I worried the first time I saw my son's feet peeling(He was around 4 yrs. old). It was summer time, at church camp and it was nasty looking! LOL
My kids never picked at their feet too much, sorry, I Have no suggestions there! :)

I noticed that when my daughter was 3. I just kept them moisturized and would try and distract her when I saw her picking at it and tell her "no". I determined that it was from either running around the house barefoot on our hardwood floors or her shoes were too small. It healed up pretty quickly and now that I'm thinking about it - when we bought her new shoes, the lady that fit her said she probably had her toes curled at the end of her shoe because we had to go up 2 sizes. Since then I have been more diligent about measuring her feet more often and we haven't had the peeling problem since.

1 / 3