Toddler with Gray Teeth!

Help! My 14 month old teeth have turned gray. The doctor did ask me to start an iron supplement but the box said it would not stain her teeth; (25.00 bucks a bottle; i thought it was worth if it didnt stain !!)Well if it did; does the gray go away? Will her teeth be gray until she looses them? I have seen adults with gray teeth??.... please any advice whould be much appreciated. thanks!

The gray staining from Iron can be polished off at the dentist office. It is not permanent, but will need a more abrasive tooth paste & prophy to remove it. Don't worry, it is not permanent. Go ahead & make an appt with a pediatric dentist. They will see children as young as 12 months. Just ask the hygienist or dentist to polish it off.

OK. Iron staining can be polished away by a dentist with the toothpaste they have in the office. It wouldn't be a full cleaning for a child that age, but it will help. I would stick with the vitamins that the pediatrician advised for your child, just make sure you brush or wipe the teeth after. Too much fluoride in water can cause fluorosis. Which is a weak areas of the teeth making the teeth appear chalky. But that is a completely different issue all together. So talk with your pediatrician about the need for iron and see a dentist about the staining. Good luck.

My almost 3 year old son has been on an iron supplement since he was 5 weeks old. He also has gray teeth. About 2 weeks ago I took him for his regular dentist appointment. The dentist said that it is completely normal. Iron supplements stain the teeth from the inside out. He is hoping that when my son is old enough to have "real" dental checkups (polishing, etc) that the stain will have come through the teeth enough for him to scrap some of it off. Either way, the iron shouldn't affect his permanent teeth. It might affect his permanent teeth if he has to remain on the iron supplements past the point that his permanent teeth have developed.
By the way, he is on Poly-Vi-Sol with Iron and it usually $10.00 a bottle.

You should test the iron supplement on her and see if she even tests for it. I do nutrition response testing. It is applied kinesiology and you can test it on the body, and truely see if one's body needs whatever it is they are taking. It is awesome! The testing stands up against any blood test, allergy test, biofeed back, you name it.

My brother and I are in our 40s and have grey teeth (kind of an opaque greyness to them - not chalky white at all). It's permanent and was caused when we took fluoride supplements when we were kids (right when our adult teeth were forming). We lived in a rural area with well water, so they thought that was the best treatment at the time.

I would guess that most dentists and pediatricians are familiar with that by now, and don't suggest that. My guess is that it's the iron, but I don't have any personal experience with that. I would call your dentist or doctor - I'm sure they can give you a bit of free advice over the phone.

www.familyeguide.com Your free guide to affordable family activities in Flower Mound, Lewisville, Highland Village and the surrounding areas.

The Poly-vi-sol liquid vitamin with Iron supplement is available at walmart or target and only costs about $8 per bottle and lasts about a month if you're just wanting something less expensive than what you've found. I put this into my son's applesauce and he ate it right up.

I am not sure about the teeth... but $25.00 for an Iron Supplement is a total waste of money. Our boys needed more iron and we found a Multi-Vitamin from Wal-Mart that actually had more iron than the prescription (check the label... the gummie ones are not good) and it was about $4.00 a bottle. That was 2 years ago and they have been great ever since and no stained teeth.

E.

I would do some research (and your own, not the CDCs or your doctor's word) on flouride use and iron supplements (but I'd be much more concerned with the flouride issue). It's really interesting to learn more on the subject and I refuse to use flouride now that I know what it is and how/why it was created. Some good sites I looked at were: http://www.fluoridealert.org, http://www.fluoridedebate.com, http://www.apfn.org/apfn/flouride.htm

1 / 3