Toddler with Dark Circles Under Eyes

my daughter (3 years old) used to get dark/puffy circles when she was tired or sick. Now she has them most of the time. Also, she gets sick very often and is a picky eater, even though we try everything under the sun to make her eat. she has plenty of activity and takes vitamins. She is lactose intolerance and we give her lactose free milk, although she drinks normal yogurt (we've tried soy yogurt w no success). She had a blood test done a year ago that came out normal. Any ideas of what can be causing the dark circles?

My toddler had the dark under-eye circles. In her case I think it was due to nasal congestion from her very enlarged adenoids. She had a lot of ear infections and was mostly a mouth breather.

Since her adenoidectomy the circles aren't as apparent.

A lot of times dark circles are a sign of allergies. I would take her to an allergist and have her tested.

I know I've read something in the past about what causes them....but to be certain what YOUR child's problem is, I'd see an Iridologist. If you're close to the Woodlands, there's one at Health Market on Sawdust. Cheryl is WONDERFUL. It cost me $85 to find out within 3 minutes that my daughter is allergic to gluten and wheat intolerant. She'd been having headaches all the time and her doctor couldn't tell us why without tens of thousands of dollars worth of test. Cheryl found the cause in literally 3 minutes of us walking in the door!!!!

Hi R.,

Dark circles are a sure sign of allergy. IgE allergies (immediate response such as hives, anaphylaxis) are often easier to detect. IgG allergies (delayed response where symptoms appear hours or even days later) are much more difficult. Keep a journal of what she eats and her symptoms (all negative reactions including behavioral stuff)as well as getting an IgG allergy test done. Good luck!

Please feel free to email me if you have any more questions!

A majority of milk-intolerance in young children is an allergy to a protein in the milk, rather than the lactose. I'm not saying she isn't lactose-intolerant, but she could be having additional issues. You may want to eliminate all dairy for at least two weeks (I was told it takes this long for the protein to clear the system--I had to quite dairy while breastfeeding).

It is also time to re-do the allergy testing. New allergies can develop and some are hard to reliably detect in younger children.

My daughter also gets the dark circles when she is having a little bout with allergies--she has environmental, rather than food allergies. She just gets a little miserable, slightly stuffy nose, coughing when she lays down. We've tried both Zyrtec and Singulair, but she experienced profound side effects with both--disturbed sleep, night terrors, personality change. When she has a flare-up, I use Mucinex, a homepathic cough syrup, and a steam vaporizer to keep it from sitting in her sinuses and becoming an infection. It works for us and I don't have to keep her on medication all the time.

My baby girl has them too. We attribut it to her constant allergy issues (she had them as a baby too). We've watched her 'allery times' to learn what bothers her (mold, ragweed, cedar) & give her allergy meds during those times of the year. Does your little one struggle w/a runny nose (other allergy issues?)? We tried visiting a pedi-allergist & found she was ONLY allergic to eggs (which don't tend to produce any visible response--of course we fed her eggs before we learned about this allergic issue :) I wasn't thrilled with the testing process on my little one & was not happy with the results. Make sure she eats & doesn't over due the milk...milk enduced anemia can be the result of that. Feed her her favs & know that she'll eat/try more when she gets a bit older.

I hope this helps,
M. R.

We were just in to the dr to figure out a 5-week long cough and learned that dark circles under the eyes can be a sign of allergies. It can't hurt to call the nurse.

Hi R.-

When my son was diagnosed with a milk allergy the doctor told me that dark circles around the eyes were a sign of a food allergy.

The most common cause of dark bluish circles under the eyes is congestion of the nose. The veins from the eyes drain into the veins of the nose. If the nose is blocked up, the veins around the eyes become larger and darker. To understand what's going on, we need to look at the nose.

These dark circles are sometimes called allergic shiners because nasal congestion is usually caused by nasal allergy or hay fever. Dark circles are also caused by chronic sinus infections, recurrent colds, or blockage of the nose by large adenoids. (If the dark circles are caused by large adenoids, your child probably breathes mostly through his mouth instead of his nose.) Dark circles under the eyes may run in families. Dark circles under the eyes are especially noticeable in children with fair complexions.

Most of the time, dark circles under the eyes are not a sign of poor health or troubled sleep. In very rare cases, they may be a sign of a more serious condition.

1 / 3