Toddler with Constipation Issues

My 2 year old daughter has major constipation issues. Her Pediatrician has put her on Miralax since April, 1 tsp per day. That has not helped her become regular like he hoped- he wants her to go 6-7 times per week, it's more like 3 (if we are lucky) times a week. The Miralax often causes very loose stools that make her go about 5-7 per day, developing in very painful diaper rash which then I take her off of it completely. For the last two weeks she has gone once a week. For a last resort we go to suppositories- which I absolutely hate doing but it works. I know it is mostly my fault for not giving her much veggies but she does eat fruit. I found that Pedia-Lax now has a fiber supplement in a gummy form. Any suggestions from veteran mom's with kids who have/had constipation issues?! Help!

Thank you for everyone (minus 1 person's) useful suggestions/comments. I have been keeping my daughter on a regular dosage of Miralx for the past 3 weeks and have her also on the Gummy Fiber supplement. Things seem to be going well. She has gone 4 days straight now. Thank you again, Moms'!

If she eats a lot of dairy, then that may be the problem. My daughter had the same problem (except that Miralax worked great). We switched her to soy milk instead of cow's milk and that really helped!

"Juice-Plus" is a vitamin that comes in a gummy and a chewable. They take 17 different fruits and veggies and dehydrate them and grind them into the vitamins. (you take a veggie one and a fruit one). Since it is the whole fruit and veggie, you get much more fiber. My kids love them, and it helps keep them regular, especially when they do not get enough fruits or veggies in their day. Good luck..

I empathize with you. Watching your little ones struggle with constipation is rough. Here are some things we've tried, with success: we are into homeopathic remedies, and they number one thing to help with constipation, hands down, is intaking enough water. Many pediatricians might disagree with this, but we started our now 7-year-old son on water at about 1 year of age. He starts every day with water, drinks it throughout the day, and we take water bottles with us wherever we go. You might hear doctors and others say that if a young one takes in too much water, they won't get enough milk (or formula) or food (i.e. they'll "fill up" on water). We found that to be erroneous. Our little guy has a healthy appetite, and the water hasn't interfered with his nutrition in the least. Since our bodies are over 70% water, and we lose water from our bodies continuously (through evaporation, sweat, and elimination), we need to replenish it - and children are no exception. Other things that help are gentle tummy massage - rub in circles from right to left, which is clockwise as you face your child. We also use a vibrating pillow, and you can also fill a cotton tube sock with rice, tie a knot in the end, and microwave it for 2 minutes or until warm (CAUTION: shake the sock and test for temperature against your bare tummy skin first to make sure it's not too hot for your child; then put it over their clothes to ensure it won't be too warm). We call this a "Bed Buddy" and it is also sold in some stores. My son used it against his tummy, laid over his lap, while he was on the toilet, until last year. It helps with what we call "poop cramps." We used the glycerin suppositories after 3 days of no bowel movement, and diaper rash balm as a preventive, when he had more than one bowel movement per day. Also, taking a warm bath with a touch of lavender (one or two drops of essential lavender oil per bath)can help. Of course, applesauce and other fiber foods are key. Oatmeal is good, too, as the mucilage it releases lubricates the intestinal tract. Good luck with this. Hang in there. Constipation is a normal part of their growth of the digestive system, and all these things can gently help them cope.

My son, who is 3 now, struggled with constipation as an infant and his early toddler years, but most of the time he's fine now. He loves to eat fruit and whole grains, and drinks lots of water, so his pediatrician was a bit baffled by it. We now spike his favorite milk beverage with pediasure (Wal-Mart brand) with fiber, and that helps a lot. We've also discovered peanuts have a bit of a "laxative" effect on him (he's not allergic to peanuts), so we include that in his diet when needed. Hope this helps!

I would stop the Miralax completely and give 1 cup of Plum smart four to five times a day consistantly. It will work if given consistantly. Give it a week. Just give every morning and don't give her anything else to drink until she finishes it. The first week I would give the plum smart every day. Try it and let evryone know if it works.
R.

Excuse my briefness: more liquids, peaches, no rice, and try citrical. Stay on it. She sounds like the miralax was too strong. Ask your doc if you can use the the citrical and how much. It will loosen her up with out making her have the runs. If not use less miralax.

In addition to the prune juice and probiotic ideas listed here, I would recommend black strap molasses. It has to be the "blackstrap" kind; it has extra magnesium in it and that is a stool loosener. Very good for you, if you like the flavor. My kids love it; it tastes like licorice; not everyone is fond of that flavor. But you could try mixing it with a glass of milk or something? A warning on this - milk will constipate, as will most things white (potatoes, cheese, starchy vegetables . . .), but soy milk or another substitute might be better, not sure. Good luck!

If you know that you are the source of the problem by not giving her more veggies, why don't you just give her more veggies????

I have a son who has a neurological disorder- and constipation is part of the package deal. We have weaned him off the miralax by introducing fiber into his diet via benefiber. You can sneak benefiber into any liquid- it leaves no evidence. Dosage with miralax and benefiber is a highly individualized thing - you have to play with the dose. If the stools are too loose- cut the dose. A tsp of miralax is really almost nothing as it is. You may be good with cutting out the miralax altogether and just adding the fiber to the diet.

I also found this article about how to get more fiber into a diet. The article states fiber recommendations for an adult. For a child age 5, the recommendation is 10-12 grams. Good luck.

http://life.familyeducation.com/nutritional-information/n...

My daughter has the same issues. You should try reducing the Miralax a little to prevent the diaper rash and going 5-7 times a day. Also making sure she has enough water really helps too. good luck! My daughter is 3 years old and still using the Miralax.

1 / 3