Toddler with Chronic Diarrhea

My daughter is 14 months old and has had diarrhea for the last 3 months. It's about 90% of the time and can be so violent that we have to change her. It's gross and I'm getting to the point of being beyond tired of it.

It all started when she had a bad stomach virus and ear infections 3 months ago. We put her on antibiotics for the ear infections. We expected diarrhea from the antibiotic and was not surprised. After a month of it though, we took her back to her pediatrician. Pediatrician said that this happens to some kids who take antibiotics. After two more weeks, we called pediatrician who referred us to a Pediatric GI doctor. This doctor changed her to a different Probiotic (refridgerated kind), ran blood tests (Celiac and others) and stool tests. Nothing came back as abnormal. We took her off sugar (as much as possible) to see if it helped - it didn't.

Now, GI wants to do a Biopsy of the small intestine, to see if there is an issue digesting certain foods as well as some other things they can look for. I'm freaked out about this!

My question is this - has anyone else had to go through this? I've heard of "Toddler Diarrhea", but don't know exactly what that is, but have heard it an go on for a year or two. I guess I'm not looking for medical advise, just curious if anyone has heard of this or had a toddler that had it going one for this long. Anyone have this go away on its own?

It's been a week of no issues, so I can officially say that I think the issue is resolved! Thanks to everyone that submitted an answer to my problem. Because of all of the responses, I decided to try and figure out the issue myself before putting my daughter through a torturous procedure.

One lady mentioned that her child had a problem with Lactaid, which is exactly what my daughter drinks. So, I was going to take her off of that starting the weekend. In those two days as I waited for the weekend, I had forgotten to give my daughter her Probiotic. For those two days, she had NO diarrhea (which happened occasionally, didn't think anything of it). I was so upset with myself for forgetting the Probiotic and immediately put her back on it. That VERY DAY, she had diarrhea so bad that she went through THREE outfits, explosive.

So, thinking back, what could be different? No diarrhea for two days, the very days that I forgot the Probiotic. Then, explosive diarrhea when I put her back on it.

Solution - I immediately took her off of the Probiotic. It has been one week since her last dose of the Probiotic and one week since her last diarrhea. I know Probiotics are NOT supposed to do this. I get it. But, I'm telling you, this was the cause. She has been on Probiotic for 4 months (ever since she got a stomach bug) and has had diarrhea almost every day since. And now, nothing. I don't blame the doctors for telling me to keep her on this. But, I do wish they had thought to take her off of it. I feel like I've been poisoning her for 4 months!!!

I second the C Diff answer. My daughter had chronic diarrhea after antibiotics and after bowel testing, found out she had contracted it. It took 2 rounds of medicine to clear it up (about a month or so). She continued to have bouts of diarrhea until she was 2 and was tested for everything under the sun (celiac's, 2 endoscopies, etc.) and no known cause was found. She was labeled with toddler diarrhea at 1 and out grew it at 2. She is now perfectly healthy.

OMG i can't believe you wrote this!!!! Last year my 18 mo old had diarreah for 4 months and no one would listen to me! I cried myself to sleep i dont know how many nights because i couldnt figure her out and her ped just kept blowing me off, if you care to read here is my original post on here looking for help....http://www.mamapedia.com/questions/16990679978083483649

my poor baby had a diaper rash the whole 4 months too! I had made sooooooooooo many changes to her diet and eliminated so many things that i think i became confused and lost track, so finally i went to the biggest childrens hospital i could find near here and they were so helpfull!! right away the doc told me that she wanted to do stool tests, and to put her on a bland diet for 1 week while i did the tests. My baby had never had a "solid" poop, always runny, always diarreah, and as soon as igot home and started the bland diet, wah lah!!!!! i couldnt even get enough poop to complete the tests! problem solved!, turns out it was the Lactaid milk i was giving her this whole time was making her sick, my poor baby :( since then she drank rice milk until she was 2 and then i slowly weaned her to 2% cows milk and now shes perfectly fine. Please do read my posts before you alow doctors to torture her it maybe be something so simple that you may just be overlookig. i wish you the best!!

so i guess what i would suggest is put her on a SUPER bland diet for a week......if i remember right i took away ALL dairy, and basically just fed her boiled chicken and steamed veggies, bananas and toast and water. but then again i didnt have to do it for more than 1 day to see an immense change and was able to figure it out.Try it M., it might work!! if you see a change then start adding one item at a time to her diet and you should be able to figure it out.

Have they tested for C-Dif? My son was on antibiotics back to back and it killed all the good bacteria in his stomach. He had to take this god awful medicine but it worked! He had major runs and no control of his bowels. This sounds just like the same situation. Maybe have her retested for it if they did it once.

I'd consider talking to a nutritionist first. See if you can rule out anything in her diet/allergies/etc first. Of COURSE a GI doc is immediately going to go for the medical tests...I'd talk to a D.O. who deals with nutrition first before doing the tests.

ETA: I'm reading a few other posts and want to say that I think a test for C-dif could be the answer. But if it's not, PLEASE don't start changing up her diet without talking to a nutritionist! Don't go gluten free or add probiotics or feed her only bland food and pedialyte until you have talked to that doctor who deals primarily with nutrition. If the problem is gastric flora, he needs the test and treatment, not a major diet change.

There are a group of disorders called Eosinophilic Gastrointestial Disorders (EGID). Your daughter's symptoms sound very similar to these disoders. The only way to test for them is to do a biopsy. My son has an EGID. If you would like more information, you can go to www.apfed.org or www.cured.org

My niece had diarrhea for over a year, and it turns out she was constipated of all things. The hard stool was blocking most of her intestine and the liquid stool leaked out around it. Diarrhea can be so many things. Good luck with this - hopefully you will wake up one day and it will be gone!

Could she be lactose intolerant? That can cause terrible diarrhea. C-diff could be the problem too and is tested with a stool sample.

We went to a Ped GI last summer (kiddo was going on 4) after waiting for 2+ years for him to grow out of "toddler diarrhea" (we'd also limited sugar, he drank no juice, only ate whole fruit, lots of fiber, etc). She did a high powered test of stool and blood samples and determined that he had mild inflammation in his bowels (but not enough that she was worried about Crohns). She put him on Miralax. I really thought she was crazy - treating chronic diarrhea w/ a stool softener, for heaven's sake? But it's been six months and kiddo has finally normalized. This might not help in your situation, but you might ask your GI if it's worth giving it a go for a set period of time before a biopsy.

My son had "Toddler Diarrhea" for a couple of months (I think. It was a couple of years ago.) Our doctor asked us to cut out dairy for awhile to see if that helped. It didn't. She tested samples, and they all came back negative. It did go away on it's own, thankfully, and our ped said that this can happen as their bodies get used to table food and all the new foods they are being introduced to.

I tend to do what the doctors recommend, as I think most of them really do intervene as little as possible and try to eliminate other options before they suggest anything invasive. If it were me, I would probably make sure I asked the GI if he/she really didn't see any other options. Would he/she recommend anything else you could try, any other dietary changes, etc. Since this is a Pediatric GI, I would tend to thing this doctor is going to be more sensitive to mom's concerned about unnecessary, invasive procedure and wouldn't recommend the biopsy if there really were any other options. But definitely ask!

One concern I really had was the diaper rash. With diarrhea, comes diaper rash, and nothing seemed to help more poor baby. The nurse recommended Paladin, and it worked!!! I had to ask the pharmacist where it was, but it is an over the counter cream. Huge help!!!

Good luck! I hope your little one gets better soon.

Try putting her on a gluten free diet regardless of her test results, which at that age can be unaccurate. If she has a sensitivity to gluten, you'll notice an improvement very quickly, but give it a week or two. If you want more details about this diet, message me and I'd be glad to help.

1 / 3