Toddler with a Cold and Breaking Out in Hives!!!

I called my pedi office because my daughter has had a cold and hives have been popping up here and there for 3 days, as long as the cold. They said this was very common and if its viral it has to run its course. any one ever experienced this before????

We went to pediatrician's office today. It's a virus and its very common. She recommended Zyrtec.A strep test was also done and it came back negative, no ear infection either. I feel so much better that I know she was seen by her Dr and it will run its course for 1 -2 weeks, My poor baby.

This happened to my daughter 2 years ago, when she was 15 months old. Not really hives per se (they were not raised) but just red splotches all over her body. And she was NOT itchy. I took her to the pediatrician who asked if she had had a cold recently. Why yes, yes she had - a couple of weeks before. Everything else was the same - no new foods or clothes, same laundry detergent, etc. The doctor said it was probably viral and related to the cold and it would get better on its own. And it did in 2 days, no Benadryl needed.

I haven't experienced this but maybe benedryl or another antihistamine might help. Did the dr. say anything about medication?

Personally that wouldn't sit well with me. I can't stand when doctors tell me "let it run its course".

For piece of mind for yourself and as a responsible parent to your child, I'd get a second opinion....and fast. If you feel it's out of control...then don't make your toddler (and you) suffer anymore than necessary....call another doctor or go to a walk-in or children's hospital. Have you tried doing some online research as to your child's symptoms? Not that Google is a Medical Doctor, but it's a place to start for your own knowledge on the matter.

PenPoint Editorial Services
http://www.PenPointEditorial.com

Well, if doctor says it's common,
then it's probable that people here have experienced this before.
Poor baby.
Are you doing anything to relieve the itch?
Topical, in addition to whatever you're doing for the cold symptoms.

Don't worry. It's completely normal. My daughter didn't get hives, but reddish pinky blotches all over her body, and it was because of the virus. They should disappear soon, and as you shouldn't treat a virus with antibiotics, that's why he told you to let it run its course.

Yes, my daughter once got very bad hives from a viral infection. Benedryl did not work at all. Try zyrtec instead - it works much better with hives and they have a children's version OTC.

Keep an eye on it, if she gets a temperature spike of 102 or higher, demand that she been seen and if they refuse, take her to the ER.

i have 4 children & yes i have seen the same thing in 2 of them. My pedi said the same thing, it's viral. Ran it's course and they were just fine. If anything seems really strange eg; high fever, lethargic behavior, very cranky, i would use my best judgement and go to an urgent care or ER. Better safe than sorry is always best.

1 / 3