Toddler Will Only Drink Milk Warm from the Bottle

Hi Moms - I have a soon-to-be 22-month old and I know it's time to wean him from the bottle. One of the issues our pediatrician had was giving him a bottle at bedtime and trying to potty train at the same time. He only gets 2 bottles a day, and does not get one at bedtime so that is not an issue. Also, he loves to brush his teeth so dental hygiene is not a concern. He absolutely refuses to drink milk cold, and even if it is warmed up, will not drink it out of a sippy or regular cup. I am debating whether or not it is more important for him to get his milk, or to wean him and him not get his milk. Unfortunately, he has two stubborn parents and is even more stubborn than the both of us so I am sure he will not drink his milk if he doesn't get it in a bottle. I am just trying to weigh what is most important and what is best for him. Part of me feels that he is not even 2, and to just wait. Any opinions or thoughts out there? Thank you in advance.

I would give a sippy cup with water or a cup before bed and read him his favorite book.If he does'nt like it, take something away( like the park

I switched to a sippy that is almost like a bottle. I think it was nubby that makes a set with three different tops that go onto the cup and then I made his milk less and less warm each time.

He will drink other fluids from a cup? If so, I would put up the bottle and offer milk and water from the cup. Might try adding some strawberry or chocolate flavoring to the milk. If he'll drink flavored milk, slowly decrease the ammount of 'flavor' until he's drinking straight milk.

It may take a week or two, but once he realizes the bottle has gone byebye he will quit expecting bottles of warm milk.

Why don't you simply hold off on milk in a cup for awhile. Take the bottle away cold turkey...it has NEVER failed for us or our friends when something needs to stop. It's rough for a bit, but they get the idea quickly. Give him milk in other ways... with his cereal, for example. And, you can try giving him a DAB of sugar-free chocolate syrup in milk so it's a "different" drink. I say a DAB...only b/c you don't want him then ONLY wanting chocolate milk. Use JUST enough to give it a bit of chocolate flavor, then use less and less as time goes by until he reaches plain white milk. Also, our girls found they LOVE getting milk at restaurants b/c it comes in a "neat new cup" and they can bring it home with them. If you DO get chocolate milk there, make it once in a while and ask the server if they can do half chocolate, half white milk to dilute it. And really, if he's getting dairy elsewhere (yogurts, cheeses) he's probably getting a good level of calcium every day.

From my experience with my soon to be three year old is that she will be as stubborn as possible to see how much she can get way with it. Your son my refuse to drink milk but if you stick to your guns and don't give in to him, he will take a sippy cup. You'll find now that he's getting closer to two he"s going to be testing you much more and what you will let him get away with. My daughter was very attached to her pacifier but when she turned two we did the whole pacifier ferry thing but she still grieved for 2 days which was heartbreaking for me but she worked through it and was then fine. It's hard because you feel such guilt but in the end it's whats best for them. Good luck!!

when you are ready to wean him from the bottle realize there may be a few days he wont get milk and thats ok- he can get calcium from other sources. just remember the longer you wait the harder it will be.

When my now 16 year old was 2, my sister said I was spoiling her by warming her milk. I was pondering that, and later that day my sister called back to say she was sorry to be so bossy, and that upon reconsideration, she realized she liked certain beverages warmed too, like coffee or tea. I continued to warm her bottles for several months, till she completely used a cup. I'm happy to report that she now doesn't take a bottle or request her milk be warmed! :) so relax, snuggle up with your little one and his warm milk, and enjoy the moment. They pass quickly. This is not an issue of right or wrong, just preference. Bless you as you raise your little one. -N.

Relax---he's not even 2. What's a couple of bottles of warm milk a day? So long as he's not walking around with a bottle hanging out of his mouth there really isn't anything to worry about. He's still a baby, and he's sorting things out. He has so much going on right now--walking, talking, trying other things in a sippy cup (at least I assume he is since 2 bottles of fluid a day is pretty low for a 2 year old) and to be a big boy ---cut him (and yourself) some slack on the warm milk in a bottle--he still is and needs to be a baby at times. The warm milk is his security. His health is more important---no kid has ever gone to college with a bottle in his mouth. Relax and enjoy him.

1 / 3