Toddler's Pee Smells like Maple Syrup

My husband and I have been trying to figure out why our 20 month old daughter's clothes sometimes smell like maple syrup - this weekend, she took off her clothes during her naptime and peed all over them - they all smelled like maple syrup. Has anyone ever heard of this? She has a very healthy, varied diet and has never been sick except for one cold last winter.

Thank you everyone for the great response!! I spoke to our ped. He asked a lot of questions and will test her, but first he wants to see her infant screening results. He never received them because the hospital would not send the results to him until the adoption was complete - the adoption was finalized a year ago, but we didn't think about it till now. The hospital is in San Diego and we're in Glendale, so I faxed the order yesterday. Meantime, we're feeding her less protein and more carbs because that's what all the websites seem to indicate. She is as lively and uncannily clever as she always is, but we're watching her like hawks! I'll update you again after we do the blood work. Thank you all again. Mamasource really is a wonderful community!

Do you take fenugreek (a supplement to help with milk supply)? I know it always made me (not my pee, that I remember) smell like maple syrup!

are you breastfeeding her? If so, are you taking "fenugreek" to increase milk supply? Because that is known to make you and/or baby to smell like maple syrup!

I'm not 100& perecent about this but i think i remember someone mentioning this is a reaction to diabetes before.

Take her to the doctor to have her evaluated for a metabolic dsorder that is sometimes called, "maple syrup urine disease." It's genetic and treatable with diet, but can be serious. Good for you for figuring it out! E.

While it could just be a function of something in her diet, generally speaking, urine that smells sweet like maple syrup is a classic sign of diabetes. In those cases, the body isn't producing insulin to metabolize sugar, so the sugar in the body is eliminated through urination. Obviously there are other effects of diabetes, but I would speak to your doctor about it. Before you worry too much just remember that the smell and color of urine is easily effected by diet, so the doctor may say it's nothing. But better safe than sorry! Good luck!

Do you use the herb fenugreek in your cooking or is it in any supplement she is taking? I took Fenugreek pills to help lactation while I was nursing my daughters and it will make your pee, underarm, sweat etc. smell like pancake syrup. I hope this info helps!!

did you find out the cause? my daughter has the same problem.

L., I'm not sure that I agree with the other moms that have posted. Your baby seems a little old to have maple syrup urine disease. I have twin boys that just turned 22 months and I have noticed with both of them that their urine if left on their clothes will start to smell sweet like maple syrup and they are both healthy as can be. They both do eat lots of protein and large amounts of fruit...I'm sure its all about the diet.

1 / 3