Toddler's Leg Getting Stuck in Crib Slats

My very active 18 month old has recently been getting her leg wedged through the slats in her crib, and I am concerned she may hurt herself. She has long skinny legs that seem to get really stuck. A few times it takes two of us and some lotion to get her leg free. We suspect it happens when she may be trying to climb out, but I haven't witnessed it happening. Her crib mattress is really low, so I don't think she could actually climb out. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this with their child, and if you have any suggestions. Is this a phase that will pass?

I put one of those breathable bumpers around the bottom of my crib slats and that stopped my little one getting stuck in the slats.

Yes! I had this same problem with my daughter. Fortunately, she learned her lesson after it happened a few times and it no longer became an issue. But 2 of my friends had continuing problems with this, so they simply re-inserted the bumper, which solved the problem for them. Maybe give that a try. : )

The same thing happened to my daughter when she was about 8 months old. Her legs were getting caught near the ankles though. She would sleep wildly and put a foot through the bars, then try turn over in her sleep and get caught terribly. My husband nearly had to saw the bars to get her out. We took her to the ER in the middle of the night for X-Rays and the Dr. told us to notify the manufacturer of the crib and the store we bought it at. We had gotten it at Target. They didn't seem to care at all, not even the corporate headquarters. I called Good Housekeeping magazine and they investigated the crib. Unfortunately the Consumer Safety Board's regulations for the width apart of the bars were the same as my crib. I asked them if they could do something to alert people that this was happening or change the regulations on bars to make a little further apart, or do away with bars completely! I ended up buying my daughter a twin bed shortly after that because she got stuck in the crib bars a few more times after. It is sad that after talking to so many people involved with product safety, that no one really wanted to do anything. None of the cribs recalled were for the reason of the kids getting stuck in the bars. The manufacturer made me feel like my kid was weird or something for having this happen. You can't tell me this doesn't happen more often and we just don't hear about it because no one wants to advertise it. I was glad to see that you wrote about your experience, something needs to be done. I think the only solution is to try a bed or toddler bed.

One of my twin daughters went through this too. I was not ready to give her free access by putting her in a toddler bed yet, so I needed a solution as well. We never used the bumper guards that came with our crib sets because of the smothering risk they imposed, but since at 18 months, that is no longer an issue, we put them up. Luckily, we had kept them, and it worked. Then 6 months later when they started playing with them, we took them away again. By that time, their legs no longer fit thru. We opened up their beds 6 months later for potty training.

Have you thought about ditching the crib altogether? Some have already mentioned that here. Our daughter has been sleeping on a twin mattress on the floor since she was around 10 months old. She loves it and sleeps well. Plus, being that it's on the floor, we didn't have to buy those side rails. She is 17 months and has only rolled off the bed maybe 3 or 4 times. I keep pillows next to her bed for that reason. She has never gotten up in the middle of the night and gotten into things either.

We also used the crib shield.

Hi M., I also have a 10 month old who is very active, he also would get his legs caught on the crib slats, I did some research & found this great website (securebaby.com) that has great child safety products for all type of cribs. Hope this was helpful.

A little about me:

Mommy to Mario Jr. 12yrs. & Adorable 10 month old Diego......

We used a Crib Shield to keep my son's limbs inside his crib. He wasn't trying to climb out and he loved his crib, he just rolled and moved a lot while in there so his limbs got caught sometimes.

Here's a link to one:
http://www.securebaby.com/crib_shields_all.html?gclid=CJ_...

If you do a google search on Crib Shield you should find some options for about $30-$40.

When our son was 18 months old he wouldn't stay in his crib at all. Plus, we also had another one just born. We put him in a twin bed with the saftey sides so he didn't roll out. He slept so much better (no waking at night especially with the other bb crys). Try the breathable bumper.

1 / 3