Toddler's 2Nd Birthday Party

Hi Everyone,
I need some tips on some activities/games for my daughter's upcoming birthday party. She will be turning 2. My dilemma is that I have a huge age range for the kids that will be there even though it is not a large group. The ages range from 2 to 10. About half of the kids are under 5 and the other half are over. I am mostly concerned about having activities that the older kids will enjoy but the little ones won't feel totally left out of. We are having the party in my parents large backyard.

On a side note, the toddlers are all VERY active! My daughter started walking at 9 months and now climbs everything she sees. The other little ones are exactly the same way so activities that expend energy would be great. Also, most of the kids know one another and my daughters loves and is very close to all of them, so yes they need to be there. All of the older children are also older siblings so they know how to behave around toddlers.

Any suggestions you all have are greatly appreciated. Again it is not a large group but it has a crazy age range.

Can the kids get wet? How about a slip n' slide with a kiddie pool for all the kids to play in throughout the day. If not, one of those combo bouncers with a slide are fun for all those ages.

We got a jumpy for my sons 2nd birthday and it was a huge hit with all the kids. We got one that had a slide that ends up back in the jumpy so the little ones would not have to keep climbing in and out. That is all they did the whole party and into the night!

Those blow up jumpers are pretty inexpensive. LA Parent Mag lists a bunch of places to get them. They deliver, blow it up and pick it up at a certain time. All kids love the jumpers. Also all kids love Pinatas. You can let the smaller kids go first then the bigger kids go last and usually are able to get them open. Keep some extra candy around for any kids that don't get enough.

just last week- we had bounce house, but older girls (10 - 15 yrs) helped & entertained themselves by making these animal-face balloons my mom found at Target. Michaels also has lots of crafts. I think the older ones would enjoy doing something creative and getting the very excited, appreciative response of the toddlers.

I always have a large variety of ages also.......the biggest hits so far.....(my oldest is 20 yrs. and my youngest is 1 1/2 yrs. so that is a whole lot of parties with age differences!) Anyways....renting a big inflatable jumpy house is tons of fun (I give big kids a turn, then little kids a turn).....or a petting zoo with pony rides everyone loves (they do a fantastic job with all ages.)

We had the same issue but found that a giant bounce house was great fun for everyone including the adults who had a blast inside it.

Very interesting place to eat according to the toddlers at my son's party!!!

Would DEFINITELY go with a BOUNCE HOUSE!!! :)

Have a baby pool filled with squirting toys, plastic fish and nets to catch them with, measuring cups and funnels, etc. That will keep the little ones busy. I have always had good luck with craft projects for the older ones - nothing too canned, just get a bunch of stuff from the dollar store, colored craft sticks, feathers, googly eyes, ribbon, etc. and have a bunch of socks so they can make sock puppets, then maybe do a sock puppet show! At one party I went to, the mom crunched up balls out of newspaper and had a contest to see who could throw the most balls into a cardboard box from a distance. This was a big hit! Then the kids formed teams, and had different ways to throw the balls (blindfolded, backwards, etc) The balls were different sizes and shapes, so they did not all have a predictable trajectory, which added to the fun. Have a great party!

We usually have the same situation at my children's birthday parties. I would suggest a bouncer also. For a two year old party I don't do structured games because they don't have the attention span for that. I have bubbles, chalk, big bouncy balls and things like that for them to all play with. That way when they get bored of one thing they can just move on to the next thing when they are ready.

Good luck and have fun!

1 / 3