Toddler Swallowed a Coin

my 35 months old son just swallowed a coin (equivalent to a nickel) what should i do? worries me worst is that, the coin might went to his lungs, what are the signs that the coin goes to his lungs?

it's like this, i'm teaching him to put all the coins in an empty plastic jar as his "piggy bank". today, he got it and scattered all the coins in the floor, so we picked them up and put them back in unknowingly there are still some under the rag. So evening comes he found them and heared him choking. As we tried to take it out he swallowed it..

We are in China, it's an "yi mao" coin, my husband said it's about as a nickel and in Philippines it's about as size as old 5 cents back then (as I'm from Phils.)...

On top was the coin story of my Max, it's been 5 days since I posted it and today is the day my worries are completely finish..he passed it out today. (9/19/2010)

Thanks for all the advice and most of all to mamapedia website. It's really a big help to moms..especially first timer moms.

If he swallowed it, it went to his stomach - when you swallow, it closes the pathway to the lungs and can go nowhere but the stomach. He'll pass it in his stool.

Bahaha! I did the same thing when I was about 3. I still remember how freaked out I was which is probably why I remember it. You can call the doctor, but it will pass through his system and you'll find it (or not) in the diaper or toilet.
In terms of lungs. He'd have choked before it got to his lungs and he'd be blue. There is a little flap that regulates air vs. swallow. Think of how hard you cough as an adult when a little bit of spit gets in there . . . a coin to the wrong pipe would have been an immediate choking hazard.

Check his bowel movements over the next couple hours/days. It should pass. The good thing is that you KNOW he swallowed it. Think about the other things he may have swallowed you do not know about. My son swallowed a penny at about your age too and we found it in his stool. If it went into his lungs you would be at the ER instead because he would not be able to breathe properly and would choke. Follow up with your doctor

My daughter swallowed a coin once that must have gone into her lungs and she coughed it up. I think if it went down the wrong pipe, you would know it by now. Gross as it may seem, I would make sure the coin comes out one way or another - if not, touch base with your pediatrician.
Don't worry, he's not the first one to swallow a coin.

If it went into his lungs, you would know because he would be choking. Most likely it will come out in his bowel movement. Call the doctor just to be sure though.

check to see if he passes it or else x rays

If it had gone to his lungs you would have known it immediately.

Watch for the coin in his b.m.(s)

Call his pediatrician and ask if the coin is too big to safely go through his small intestine and the surrounding intestinal valves .

You'd know if it were blocking his airways (or headed for his lungs)--he'd be having breathing trouble.

Watch for tummy aches and make sure he's having regular bowel movements. If he stops pooping, then take him to the doctor to check for an obstruction.

1 / 3