17 answers

Toddler Swallowed a Coin

my 35 months old son just swallowed a coin (equivalent to a nickel) what should i do? worries me worst is that, the coin might went to his lungs, what are the signs that the coin goes to his lungs?

What can I do next?

So What Happened?™

it's like this, i'm teaching him to put all the coins in an empty plastic jar as his "piggy bank". today, he got it and scattered all the coins in the floor, so we picked them up and put them back in unknowingly there are still some under the rag. So evening comes he found them and heared him choking. As we tried to take it out he swallowed it..

We are in China, it's an "yi mao" coin, my husband said it's about as a nickel and in Philippines it's about as size as old 5 cents back then (as I'm from Phils.)...

On top was the coin story of my Max, it's been 5 days since I posted it and today is the day my worries are completely finish..he passed it out today. (9/19/2010)

Thanks for all the advice and most of all to mamapedia website. It's really a big help to moms..especially first timer moms.

Featured Answers

If he swallowed it, it went to his stomach - when you swallow, it closes the pathway to the lungs and can go nowhere but the stomach. He'll pass it in his stool.

Bahaha! I did the same thing when I was about 3. I still remember how freaked out I was which is probably why I remember it. You can call the doctor, but it will pass through his system and you'll find it (or not) in the diaper or toilet.
In terms of lungs. He'd have choked before it got to his lungs and he'd be blue. There is a little flap that regulates air vs. swallow. Think of how hard you cough as an adult when a little bit of spit gets in there . . . a coin to the wrong pipe would have been an immediate choking hazard.

More Answers

Check his bowel movements over the next couple hours/days. It should pass. The good thing is that you KNOW he swallowed it. Think about the other things he may have swallowed you do not know about. My son swallowed a penny at about your age too and we found it in his stool. If it went into his lungs you would be at the ER instead because he would not be able to breathe properly and would choke. Follow up with your doctor

My daughter swallowed a coin once that must have gone into her lungs and she coughed it up. I think if it went down the wrong pipe, you would know it by now. Gross as it may seem, I would make sure the coin comes out one way or another - if not, touch base with your pediatrician.
Don't worry, he's not the first one to swallow a coin.

If it went into his lungs, you would know because he would be choking. Most likely it will come out in his bowel movement. Call the doctor just to be sure though.

check to see if he passes it or else x rays

Bahaha! I did the same thing when I was about 3. I still remember how freaked out I was which is probably why I remember it. You can call the doctor, but it will pass through his system and you'll find it (or not) in the diaper or toilet.
In terms of lungs. He'd have choked before it got to his lungs and he'd be blue. There is a little flap that regulates air vs. swallow. Think of how hard you cough as an adult when a little bit of spit gets in there . . . a coin to the wrong pipe would have been an immediate choking hazard.

If he swallowed it, it went to his stomach - when you swallow, it closes the pathway to the lungs and can go nowhere but the stomach. He'll pass it in his stool.

If it had gone to his lungs you would have known it immediately.

Watch for the coin in his b.m.(s)

Call his pediatrician and ask if the coin is too big to safely go through his small intestine and the surrounding intestinal valves .

You'd know if it were blocking his airways (or headed for his lungs)--he'd be having breathing trouble.

Watch for tummy aches and make sure he's having regular bowel movements. If he stops pooping, then take him to the doctor to check for an obstruction.

My brother swallowed a coin when he was little. The doctor told my mother not to worry, that he would just pass it with his stool. Obviously this happened since he is 50 now, lol. I would call your doctor just to ease your mind but I'm sure he is fine. My son loves coins too btw!

If it went to his lungs it would have happened within seconds of him swallowing it and he would have been choking. Since he didn't choke, it went to his stomach. You've probably heard the saying, "This too shall pass.". And it will. He will poop it out in a day or 2 and probably not have any problems or even know he's doing it. Check his diaper for a few days to be sure it passes and don't worry about it.

If he is potty trained you will have to check the potty/toilet when he goes. This is a little harder because you will have to scoop out the poop to check it and hope he doesn't flush before you do.

Either way he will pass it. I wouldn't worry about it. If it didn't give him any problems going down it won't give him any problems coming out. Almost ever child swallows a coin sooner or later. Sometimes the parents don't even know it til they find it in the diaper or their child tells them about it years later.

Odd are, it went into his bowels. If he's not having breathing difficulties, then it went into his bowels. If he's pooping everyday, then it's not causing an intestinal blockage....it'll come out.

Our son choked on and swallowed an apricot pit at 18 months, after he picked up and apricot on the ground under our tree. 8 days later, it came out. My husband thought he was going to have a heart attack. My husband cried everyday until that thing came out and still, if it gets mentioned, his eyes well up with tears.

Kids swallow stuff all of the time - paper clips, coins, small marbles, etc. Just teach him to keep things out of his mouth. Breathe! :)

Things that you swallow go to your digestive system, not respiratory system. If something foreign was in his lungs, that would be extremely serious. You are asking about what could have been a potentially serious medical issue and that is not the type of question for the internet, it's what your doctor is for. If you have a serious health concern, please be sure that you are contacting the doctor right away.

anatomically speaking, i can't imagine how it would go to his lungs!
look for it in his poop in a day or two!

I did the same thing when I was 2. My family has never let me live it down and Im now 22. If he isnt choking Im sure you will find it in his diaper. It will make a great story to tell his future wife and kids.

hey myrn...
i say if he's not tellin you he has pain, he most likely swallowed it and it's in his belly. just wait for it to pass through.
my toddler did the same thing but it stayed stuck in her esophagus and we had to go to the er and they put her under and removed it thourgh her mouth.
like i said, if there's no pain and he's eating, he'll be ok.
good luck!

Don't worry!
He will poop it out.
If the thing went to his lungs he wouldn't survive a minute.

D.

he would be choking if it went into his lungs.. he will poop it out in a few days.. you can call the dr. .. they will probably tell you the same.. good luck

Required Fields

Our records show that we already have a Mamapedia or Mamasource account created for you under the email address you entered.

Please enter your Mamapedia or Mamasource password to continue signing in.

Required Fields

, you’re almost done...

Since this is the first time you are logging in to Mamapedia with Facebook Connect, please provide the following information so you can participate in the Mamapedia community.

As a member, you’ll receive optional email newsletters and community updates sent to you from Mamapedia, and your email address will never be shared with third parties.

By clicking "Continue to Mamapedia", I agree to the Mamapedia Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.