Toddler Snoring

My 19 month old doesn't sleep well and snores very loudly. I took her to her ped & he said she has large tonsils & adenoids that are blocking her airway thus the snoring and poor sleep. He put her on Nasonex, a steroid nasal spray, & said if this doesn't work in 4 wks, then he will refer to ENT & possibly surgery to remove tonsils & adenoids. Has anyone experienced this? I am scared at the possibility of surgery.

You are on the right track girl. They try and wait till the baby is 3 and 30 pounds. If they have the sleep apnea from what I was told with mine, they will admit them to the hospital overnight. Its a good thing. Since yours is so young they are trying to shrink them with the steroids first, to try to avoid it. They may or may not be able to. But the tonsils/sleep apnea have been linked to hyperactivity. My first 2 sons have had their adnoids out at 18 months, and my older son had his tonsils out at 2 1/2. I am going through the same thing you are with my 2nd son now 2 1/2 yr old. They are trying to wait as long as they can for tonsilectomy. Dr Tseng is the best. Such a great bedside manner. Makes you feel very comfortable. He has an office in Frisco and in Plano- ###-###-####. Between my 2 boys I have used him 5 times, for tubes, adnoids and tonsils. Good luck!!

We waited until my daughter was 7 before having her tonsils and adenoids removed. She had ear infections and strep throat constantly up until then. She had tubes before that, but the surgery was the BEST thing we ever did for her. She is now 13 and hasn't had strep or ear infections once since the surgery. She was "out" for about an hour, and by the second day after the surgery she was almost herself again. Of course she had to have a limited diet for the first few days, but as far as pain and recovery it was a breeze. It is such a common surgery these days, I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Our doctor was Dr. Kirkham in Medical City. He is absolutely the best. Many professional singers use him, so you know he knows what he is doing. Good Luck!

We had the same situation with my son. We had his tonsils and adenoids out. It was a little tough getting him to drink... but we finally got pain meds adjusted and it went well after that. He used to wake up every 2 hours if not more and now he actually sleeps through the night. It would scare me to here how he would breath. The surgery was scary but the thought of him not gettingt the sleep he needed so he could grow properly was very scary to me. They do the surgerys so much that you will be surprised at how fast it goes. Very easy surgery. I understand being nervous about putting such a little guys under but our was 2 at the time and he did great.

My 4yr old just had her tonsils & adenoids out last week. I don't know where you live but I highly recommend Dr. Stewart Thomas in Arlington. He was wonderful. When we got home the day of the surgery she actually wanted to eat and seemed to feel fine she did sleep alot of the day but that was to be expected. She is doing great and eating a little bit more everyday. I had mine out last year and couldn't eat for two weeks so I was glad to see how well she did. Addy had the same problem your daughter has snoring and not sleeping well and she has slept so much better since having it done and no snoring just some heavy breathing. Good luck and it's not as bad as I thought it would be just be prepared to get up in the middle of the night to give pain meds and give drinks to keep her throat from drying out.

My son had his adenoinds out and after he recovered, he hasn't snored since. The surgery is very quick and the recovery is also quick. It is amazing how kids bounce back and heal so quickly. Good luck!!!

HI, I know the possibility of a surgery can be scary but if he has sleep appnea dut to those adnoids then they must come out. Sleep appnea can cause heart arithmeas and can be fatal. There is no option of not doing it if he has sleep apnea. SA can also cause hyperactivity and other issues. The surgery is quick, very common and a must for any one with sleep appnea (sp?)

hth
A. J

My daughter was 2 when we had her tonsils and adenoids removed because of snoring. What a difference it made in my little girl, she was no longer tired and cranky in the morning, and a much happier child. We insisted that she stay overnight in the hospital, your Doctor can say that it is medically necessary so insist on this. She is now a happy and healthy 14 year old!!

Our little girl had the exact same thing. She would have a hard time breathing at night if she got sick with a cold she would sometimes choke at night. Surgery was so frighting at such a young age, but what a difference it made. She sleeps so well with no snoring or trouble breathing. She had been diagnosed with asthma prior to any of this that magically disappeared after the surgery. If it is affecting her sleep, I would have the surgery. Sleep is so important for growth and brain function not to mention a good mood. Our child is 5 now and does not remember any of it. She had both the tonsils and adenoids out. We hope your child gets well soon!

1 / 3