Toddler Having More Bowel Movements

I always get wonderful advice from all of the moms on here so I'm hoping some of you can tell me what your experience is with this subject. My healthy, 23 month old son has started having 3 - 4 bowel movements a day the last 2 weeks. The bowel movements are formed and brown (no diarrhea), and he doesn't have a fever or appear to have pain or anything when he goes. It's just a lot of volume. We haven't changed anything in his diet recently so I can't attribute the change to that, and he definitely isn't acting differently. He always had 1-2 daily, but I was just wondering what you other moms have experienced with your toddlers. Does this sound normal? He has his 2 year old check up next month so I thought I could check with the Dr. then. It just amazes me that he is going so much and when he does go it's a lot of volume, but all normal looking stool. Thanks in advance. I tend to be a bit of a worrier :)

Thanks so much to all you wonderful moms who responded so quickly! I love this site so much - it's so nice to hear from other women who can offer such great advice. I feel reassured that everything is okay. Thanks again.

Everyone is different. What's "normal" for you may be not "normal" for somebody else. I would speak to the ped if you are concerned. And, don't worry. All worrying does is fester more concern and stress and until you have something to be concerned about, don't worry about it.

My son does the same thing and he is 3. I wouldn't worry about it as long as everything else is normal.

The fun things we get to share on this site! :)
As long as it is not diarrhea and he is not sick, no need to worry much. Make sure the diet hasn't changed, even a type of oil or kind of bread or butter can sometimes trigger a change. Or his body may be eliminating toxins from his body, sort of fighting bacteria or a minor virus. Think of it this way, it's better that he goes and cleans out his system than being constipated. Watch his diet, too much fruit or sometimes bath or pool water can do funny things. Mention is to the doctor but don't worry too much. Keep feeding him well and give lots of liquid. He should be back to a routine again soon. From time to time my 2yr old son goes through the same thing and he gets back on track.

Chill, it is good, k

I don't know for sure, but I do know both my children had/have multiple movements a day at that age. My son's 23 months now, and he just got over a couple of weeks of that--he's back to 1-2 now. I always wonder if it's teething. They both drooled/drool a lot when they're teething, so I thought maybe that sped things along :-)

My daughter, now five, started her current once a day schedule when she was about three.

My friends always wondered why I complained so much about changing diapers and the cost of diapers until I told them it was three or four times a day!

Hope that helps :-)

Hi, M.. Well, it sounds like he's pooping at the same rate that he's eating, which is 100% healthy. Even though you may not have changed his diet, he may be eating a little more, and so he's got to poop more. This is a situation you WANT to have. Only be concerned if he's got diarrhea or constipation; he should be pooping about as many times as he's eating (meals & snacks included).

Don't worry, everything sounds normal.

Peace,
Syl

hey, my 21mnths son sometimes has 4 bowel mvmnts a day! It's been like that since he started walking. Don't worry, it's ok.

As long as it looks normal don't worry.

1 / 3