Toddler Hates Diaper Wipes

So, my 2 year old son really, really hates wipes or diaper cream. He's never had any sign of infection or something else that would be painful, but he is incredibly unhappy when we use a wipe to clean him or put cream on him. He's relatively compliant with the diaper change otherwise, although he has started to be less patient with it, and he will say he's not poopy when he is (he likes to just keep doing what he's doing, and not take time for a diaper change).

Any body else encountered this? Did you ever figure out why your child fought the wipes/cream? Did a wipe warmer help? Thanks, wise mamas!

Thanks for the comments, all! Glad to hear the similar experiences. We are working on introducing the potty concept, which will certainly help. I will try some suggestions to see what might work better. It'll be a lovely day when diapers are a thing of the past!

Sounds like he is ready to be potty trained. Tell him if he starts using the potty you won't need yucky wet wipes or diaper cream.

I use my own home made wipes so that there is no chemicals in them. They work well especially if they have a rash.

M.- SAHM and WAHM and loving it!

Try a wipe for sensitive skin. It might be that the ingredients in the wipes are hurting his bottom. You can always wet a paper towel with just water to use too.

My niece, who has this uncanny ability to remember things from when she was much younger, always says that the wipes would sting her every time she sees me changing my daughter. And I remember when she was a diapered baby and she didn't like them much either. Maybe thats what the problem is. And then he just doesn't want to be touched again when it comes time for cream. I know when my daughter has gotten a rash for some reason she'll freak out with the wipes. I have to just use a soft wash cloth with water. Then she's fine. I'm not sure what is on the wipes themselves but I would try just water and a cloth and see what happens. Can't see how it would hurt except for the extra laundry. :-)

M.- SAHM and WAHM and loving it!

Creams are generally unnecessary, especially if you change him often.

Have you tried starting potty training with him?? Perhaps he is ready to wear big boy underwear. I had success with my son a few weeks ago potty training and we have picked out Thomas train underwear for him to wear. I also picked up some training boy color underwear at Target. I work so, am not home enough to do it on a daily basis. Hope that helps.

I don't know if you've ever tried one on sensitive areas but most wipes sting a little. It's probably getting time for potty training but I'd also switch to the Lansinoh wipes-I've never had a problem with them and have super sensitive skin.

I would just try using unscented warmed wipes.

1 / 3