Toddler Has Leg Pains

My 2 1/2 year old son has complained 5 or 6 times in the last few months of leg pain. I don't think it is cramps because it's all over his thighs and shins that he points to. It seems to be aches; mostly happens when sleeping but has happened once in daytime. thoguht it might be from running and jumping but not so sure now. Last night he couldn't hardly sleep - very restless. Only when I rubbed his legs did he fall to sleep. Have call into doctor but moms seem to have great suggestions. Thanks for help.

Thanks moms! It is amazing how many of you have said "growing pains" which I thought it could be but my husband thought I was nuts. God Bless you all for taking the time to respond.

Don't want to scare you, but I reacently read an artical about
cancer common in boys (sorry dont remember the name of the cancer)that commonaly starts with leg pain. It is very treatable if diagionased early.

i had that problem as child. my mom said she used to be up with me all night long. she would rub my legs and cover them with heating pads to relieve the pain. the doctor's said i poor circulation in my legs but there was nothing they could prescribe. My mom said I had the problem consistently for many years. i'm 33 now and feel it only occasionally. needless to say my mom and dad had many restless nights up massaging and applying heat to my legs.

Try giving him Banana's, he may have a potassium deficiency. It could be growing pains, but that's a last resort to settle with. If it doesn't ease up, take him to the Dr. there could be several medical conditions causing it.

I believe you might be talking about "growing pains". This is really quite common in boys....I had three.....I am not sure(it's been too long) what causes it, but I know it does pass as they get older. My grandchildren also had this strange pain.

B., I agree with the growing pains thing, but was wondering if your son has a tricyle or bicycle that he has been riding recently or is he in a tumbling class? My daughter woke up the other day and was screaming about her legs hurting (she is 5) and I pointed out to her that she had been rollerskating and had used muscles that she hadn't before. Is he doing anything to get muscle aches?

Maybe it is growing pains. My daughter gets them sometimes. Mostly around bedtime or sometimes she wakes up in the middle of the night because her legs hurt. I put a heating pad in her bed and give her some tylenol.

Debra

Hey B. it sounds like growing pains :) If I had to guess he probably just grew a couple of inches or so and when that happens the legs especially will start to ache in different places....At night when the body is relaxed the muscels are allowed to just stretch with out having a different job to focus on ie. running, climbing, chasing you .. So that would explain the night aches however if it is severe and continues for 4 to 5 days you should contact your doctor he might have injured himself...
Hope that helps
V.

My 4 yo complains about this on occassion, too. As a matter of fact, he did last night. It's most likely just growing pains - I remember having them when I was little, and it's just awful. I give my son a little bit of infant's ibuprofen and put him to bed. I don't think it's anything to be concerned about unless it's bothering him constantly for a long time.

It's got to be growing pains. I'm almost positive. Maybe measure him and in a month measure him again and I bet you anything he will have shot up considerably. I don't know if there's anything that can soothe the pain though. That is something that you would probably have to ask your doctor about.

C. M.

Hey B.,
It sounds ike it may be growing pains. I have four children ages 13, 10, 7 and 5. The pains usually happen at night when your body is trying to rest..and the only thing that does help is to rub their legs or if it gets really bad try giving him some children's motrin. These pains are common in 2, 4, 6, 10 and 12 year olds..every two years the kids go thru growth spurts. I hope this helps a bit. : )

My son, age 26 now, had what the dr. called "growing pains" from 3 to 18 or so. So it could be he is entering into a period of rapid growth. But I think you are right in taking him to the doctor. It's a good way to relieve your mind!

1 / 3