Toddler Has Dry Skin on Legs

Hiya,

I have a 30 month old with "alligator skin" patches. Not as bad as psoriasis or eczema, but very dry. I use mustela and heavy creams on her legs (mostly the shin area)

However, there seems to be little change until she finishes a growth spurt. I'm pretty sure the skin issue and the spurts are related, the kid drinks plenty of watered down juice, so she's not dehydrated and all of her other skin appears normal/soft/pliable.

Anyone else have this problem? Another mom I met over the weekend said "oh yeah, my kid has dry skin" and I took a look/feel on her shins, and her daughter's skin was nothing like my own's. Beanie has little "goose pimple" type areas that can't be felt, only seen, and there are invisible dry patches as well.

If her other skin was reacting this way, I'd cut down on baths (about 4/week, most with bubbles, but the bubble baths are with very moisturizing stuff. No UTI issues at all --fingers xed---) She wears mostly jeans and stretchy pants, she doesn't appear to have any allergies.

Anyway, I just want to know how other moms deal with this stuff and what the best products are, and whether I should go to the pediatrician now, or wait until her skin is broken and/or otherwise compromised from the dryness.

Thank you so much, mamans!!!!

Okay, It's been a week and she's doing great with mild cetaphil baths, less frequent bathing and the slathering on of the Gold Bond. I guess we just needed a routine treatment?

Thanks for all the advice!!!

Try baby oil on the dry areas. You can also use shampoo with conditioner for her bbubble baths. the hair conditioner will also condition her skin.

My best friend gave me a product called "Renew Intensive Care Lotion", which doesn't have any medication or anything in it, but it beat out Eucerin in a double blind study with people using it for anything from mild dry skin to eczema and psoriasis. I had that lizard skin stuff on my shins for the longest time, I couldn't shave my legs it was so bad, and it would get from mild to very dry and cracked/bleeding, but once I started using renew, it has completely healed. I love it and recommend it to everyone I can get my hands on. She wouldn't mind me giving out her info., she loves to help people too. Her e-mail address is ____@____.com and her name is Jana, just tell her S. sent you to her.

Even moisturizing bubble bath is still soap and can dry the skin. I would keep the bubble bath to once a week at the most. As soon as I take my daughter out of the bath, I slather her with lotion while her skin is still damp. I like Aveeno but also L. Weleda products I get from Whole Foods but they are a little pricey. Huggies make a moisturizing stick for the really dry spots. I use this on my daughter's cheeks when they are dry. Hope that helps.

My son has what you call atopical eczema- but I don't think that is what he has- I understand what your son has, Anjel he is 8 and he has like white pores like sand paper, when you touch it- I have tried everything from Hydro/dry skin cream like Olay cream for his face and body, and nothin has worked. His dr even prescribed a med called Tyrecol?? not sure if that is spelled rigth but this little 8oz bottle is suppose to be mixed with vaseline and costs like $20 or so- of course that only lasted about a month. So since it still did not help, it would flare up his skin even more- I got CETAPHIL and that works wonders- his skin is softer, the itching is gone and his self-esteem is high again- he loves to wear shorts and enjoys the pool again~ Good luck with all your options and make sure you stick with your instints, dr are not always right :)

do not use tea tree oil. it is used as an antiseptic and actually dries out the skin. they use it in natural salves and rubs for athlete's foot, which kills bacteria. definitely stay away. using it at 100% concentration on the skin is also a huge no.

I found mixing aquaphor with aveeno creams has worked, but our son still has eczema issues. There are patches on his arms that just will not go away.

Both of my children have dealt with a similar problem. I have found that if you apply Cetiphil skin cleanser (Costco sells it in a 2 pack) all over them prior to bath time and then let them play for 15-20 minutes, then follow up with Eucerin lotion (not cream). I hope you see a difference.

My doctor recommended Cetophil (I think that's how it's spelled).

My son has a similar issue. The doctor said it was seborrhetic dermatitis (fancy term for dry skin patches.) We try to bathe our son no more than every other day (the doctor said as little as twice a week is fine.) Interestingly, the doctor said that a lot of the lotions, and heavy creams can actually worsen the problem, and to use Aquaphor instead. Aquaphor is similar to Vaseline and is sold over-the-counter in a big tub ($16.99 at Longs.) We grease our little guy up with Aquaphor at night and then put his pajamas on. When he wakes up in the morning his skin is much improved. We also have a prescription for Elocon which we use maybe every two months if the skin gets really bad. Elocon should be used sparingly because it is a cortisone and with prolonged use can thin out the skin.

Hope that helps.

Gentle Naturals makes an Excema Wash. It's in the baby aisle in a green bottle and has Winnie the Pooh on it. You just add some to the bath or directly to the spot. It is a miracle worker. We all use it in my family and it helps much more than just excema. I get really bad dry and itchy legs in the winter and it works wonders for my dry legs. My kids use it too when their skin is dry.

1 / 3