Toddler Dressing Stuggles in the AM Help

Help -- I am working Mom and my 2 1/2 year old all of a sudden --started last week--throws a full fit when I put socks shoes and pants on him. I have tried to have him pick out his clothes, and I purchsed all kinds of different textures and colrs and styles nothing has worked. I am very late for work now everyday and he will only wear his PJ pants and old sneakers without socks. Any suggestions or advice will help thanks

If he's wearing his pj pants and old sneakers, that's not so bad. Maybe bring the clothes with you and try to swap them out right when you arrive at daycare. Or, dress him for bed in something that can pass for clothes the next day--soft pants and tshirts. I used to do that all the time for my daughter. I wouldn't worry about socks unless it's really cold or he's getting blisters.

I put my son to bed dressed if we have to be somewhere in the morning. A lot of people will disagree with me but it has taken that struggle off our plate. He does at least get a rinse off in the tub every night and owns very few clothes that would look "rumpled' if he slept in them. Also, I let him chose what he wants to wear. even if it does not match. I remove anything not seasonally appropriate from his room so we don't run into that issue too often

Ugh I remember this well with my son!!! After many sweaty mornings of going to work stressed out with tattered hair and an angry toddler I finally figured it out! Only one thing works. YOU HAVE TO GET UP EARLIER!!!!!!!! You need to give him 15-20 minutes of your undivided attention whether it be just snuggling with him watching cartoons in pj's while you drink a cup of coffee and he eats a breakfast snack (dry cereal or whatev!) - the key is to make it non stressful. If you give him that time I can almost guaruntee you that your morning life will be sooooooo much easier! He will be happy and satisfied (and so will you!) - much less apt to put up resistance when you need him to get dressed, but give yourself a broader window of time to make it happen. My son was not much of a morning person and like most toddlers - they don't hurry when we need them to, once we get frustrated they do too and then its a big blow out of unsuccessful morning for both of you. I also let my son take a baggy of cherrios, rasins, or french toast sticks with him in the car on the way to daycare after he got dressed which seemed to help him not mind getting in the car bc he wasn't leaving it behind. If you allow him to make a couple of his own decisions he will be pleased. Good luck! Working mom's got it rough in the morning thats for sure!!!!

Hi, S.:

Take some clothes for him to change into at day care.

Let him wear what he wants - he's only 2 1/2. Then pack extra stuff. Once he calms down a bit from the morning rush, whoever watches him can change him (perhaps when they do a diaper change).

I say let him wear his pj pants and old sneakers with no socks. Pack a pair of pants and some socks.
It could just be a stall/delay/power play move and, honestly, you need to think outside of the box to get past those!
It's not worth the morning stress.
The daycare teachers have seen this a million times.

My son did this for about 6mos, he also wanted to be naked all the time and he really got interested in potty training. It ended around 32mos, when he started putting on his own socks/shoes/pants. He still wants me to pick out the outfits, sometimes changing one item, but he's back to pleasantly being dressed. Good luck!!

It's a phase. Just put him in the clothes and get out the door. He'll get over it.

1 / 3