Toddler Diarrhea

My 20 mth. old has had diarrhea now for almost two weeks. She shows no signs of being sick in any way except her BMs are loose. Her pediatrician has her on the BRAT diet for 5 days to see if it will help the situation - so far no change. Any advice?

Thanks to everyone for all the advice on dealing w/my daughter's diarrhea ! Things are looking much better now & I didn't have to take her in to peds office. This was son nice to be able to correspond w/others who have had the same problem.

My niece had this problem when was 2, and it drove my brohther and sister-in-law crazy because it lasted for a month. She finally was sent to a pediatric gastroentologist, and he put her on a high fat diet instead of the brat. She got well quickly after that.

Try giving her rice, crakers, bread (toasted) jello, no milk if posible for a few days, no candies or chocolate, no eggs, bake or boil potatos, chicken (no read meat) apple sauce, jello, nothing fried and hope this helps

look up mercola .com in the search area for diarrhea it may give you some helpful doctor's advice. Also, look at the babies diet has it changed? If so omit the new food and see if a change takes place in 3-5 days. Lastly do you have an animal with worms that may be the culprit and the baby may need it's stolls checked.
Praying,

My daughter had diarrhea off and on for 2-3 weeks when she was 18 months old. the md office said it was common in toddlers and that if she wasn't showing any other signs of illness than she was fine. They called it "toddler's diarrhea" she didn't seem to have any problems or discomfort, the only problem was not being able to be in daycare for 24 hours after diarrhea episodes. i did feed her lots of bananas and tried to limit peaches and watermelon.

L.,

We have dealt with that occasionally with our 4-year old. Mia was a real juice fanatic and we noticed that this would occasionally loosen her stool. He had to really limit that. Also, dairy is a good addition to your little one's diet. I'm sure others have told you the same.

E.

I wish my toddler's stools would be looser! He's been constipated for 2 months now! But anyway, my son went through a loose stool phase and it was suggested to me that it was from teething. If they are cutting teeth they are drooling a lot and rather than let it fall out of their mouths as much as when they were infants they swallow this saliva making their stools very loose. Especially if that is the only symptom and she doesn't seem to be in pain. If she is crampy and gassy I would look into a milk allergy. Hope she gets through this quickly for you!

Hi My 14 mo old had a virus last month. She got it from her cousin, also a toddler. Her symtoms were vomiting for one or two days, followed by diarrhea for 2 or 3 days. However, her cousin had diarhea for 9 days. Doctor claimed it was a virus.

I still nurse my 14 mo so I think that was the reason for her abbreviated diarrhea.

My son had something just like this in Feb. No other signs of anythiing except the diarrhea. My Dr. said it was viral and she told me to get a probiotic to help. You can purchase from behind the prescription counter. You don't need a prescription, but just need to ask the pharmacist to get it for you. His diarrhea lasted about 2 weeks in total, but the Dr. had said it could take 3-4 weeks too. Hope this helps.

Don't give her fruit juice and try giving her crackers. Hope she is getting to feeling better.

1 / 3