Toddler-safe, Natural Sunscreen and Bug Spray?

Hi Moms!
I read this blog every morning and know you all will have some great advise. I have a 19 mo old who loves to take walks and be outside. We have found that "baby safe/tear-free" sunscreen doesn't exist for her. We've tried most of the over-the-counter sunscreen that says it's safe for babies, but as soon as my daughter rubs her hands near her eyes, she gets a bad reaction (red, burning, puffy eyes to the point where she is uncomfortable). She unfortunately got cursed with our fair complextion, so she has sensative skin anyway. My husband and I got to talking and would love to know:
1) Do you know of any natural/organic sunscreen to use on toddlers?
2) Do you know of any natural/organic bug repellent too?

The best sunscreen is Blue Lizard Baby. We were introduced to it after my husband was diagnosed with Melenoma. His doctor told him this was the best sunscreen out there. It is amazing. I have two kids...2 and 4 months. I use it on both of them and have never had any problem with it running in their eyes. My son also has reacted to many other sunscreens but not this one. Blue Lizard can only be ordered online...that is why my husband carries it in his Chiropractic office. I don't know where you live but you can by it at his office which is located at 14747 Oak Road Carmel, IN 46033 adn the number is ###-###-####. Good luck!

S.,
I use California baby. They make regular sunscreen, but also make one that doesn't contain the typical sunblocking chemicals, but instead uses minerals. Its a little pricey, but worth it I think. I also know the Jason brand makes Sunbrellas that is also mineral based. Perhaps you can just try them and see if her eyes react. The reality is, probably anything like that getting in one's eyes will cause some irritation. Maybe she will keep a sun-hat on, and if the sunscreen isn't on her hands or directly close to her eyes, that will help keep it from the eyes. Good luck.

S.,

I check www.safemama.com for great "safe" products for my family before I buy anything. They have a "Safer Sunscreen Cheat Sheet" link on the homepage, as well as a "Safer Bug Repellent Report". I've been using TruKids Sunny Days sunscreen and really like it. It smells yummy too. My daughter has sensitive skin and eczema issues and this sunscreen works well for her. I recently bought Burt's Bees Herbal Insect Repellent. It's a bit thick and oily so it doesn't spray very well but I just put some in my hands and wipe it on my daughter.

Aubrey Organics has a wonderful sun block that I use on my very sensitive 6 yo son. The regular baby sunblocks broke him out horribly (we ended up in the ER once & they put him on steroids to counteract it). I found Aubrey organics at our local health food store, but they also have a web site.

As for bug spray, I'd try one of the bug bracelets or the new Off clip on that attatches to your belt. Both protect without putting the chemicals on the skin. You can pick them up almost anywhere.

Yes Melaleuca the Wellness Company has both. We have been customers since 1991 and just love their products.
Let me know if you want more info.

I have been looking quite a bit into this myself. My 4 year old son has very fair skin as well. a site I've used alot is cosmeticsdatabase.com. It does independent testing on tons of stuff including sunscreens and rates them on a scale 1-10 based on how good/bad they are for your skin. Most of the best ones are not so common organic ones that aren't too cheap. I would be willing to spend more, but I have to send some to my son's school and will be having a teacher havin to put it on him with a room full of kids screamin, so I'm not guessing be careful not to use to much isn't high on their list of concerns. Anyways, there are also some generic and cheaper brands that got good ratings. But you have to read carefully because even in each brand there are great and horrible ones. I just bought a baby blanket spf 50 lotion at toys r us for my son, but haven't used it yet, so not sure how it is yet. One more link I'll give ya: http://cosmeticsdatabase.com/special/sunscreens2008/index...
It's a side by side list of highly rated common and not so common ones. Good luck. Hope this helped a little.

have you tried California Baby? they also have a physical blocker that's shaped like a chap stick tube-very easy to put on tiny faces.

S. -

I recommend the Arbonne ABC Baby Sunscreen with SPF 30+. It is botanically based for baby's sensitive skin -- pure, safe & beneficial. I have a sample if you would like to try it. Arbonne's baby products are truly wonderful. As far as the bug spray, I use an aromatherapy lemon spritz, you can also use a dryer sheet, or many other natural ways. Dr. Mercola also has a natural bug spray, or there is one in the health food stores made by Kiss My Face I believe.

L. L.

S.,

1 / 3