Toddler-safe, Natural Sunscreen and Bug Spray?

Hi Moms!
I read this blog every morning and know you all will have some great advise. I have a 19 mo old who loves to take walks and be outside. We have found that "baby safe/tear-free" sunscreen doesn't exist for her. We've tried most of the over-the-counter sunscreen that says it's safe for babies, but as soon as my daughter rubs her hands near her eyes, she gets a bad reaction (red, burning, puffy eyes to the point where she is uncomfortable). She unfortunately got cursed with our fair complextion, so she has sensative skin anyway. My husband and I got to talking and would love to know:
1) Do you know of any natural/organic sunscreen to use on toddlers?
2) Do you know of any natural/organic bug repellent too?

The best sunscreen is Blue Lizard Baby. We were introduced to it after my husband was diagnosed with Melenoma. His doctor told him this was the best sunscreen out there. It is amazing. I have two kids...2 and 4 months. I use it on both of them and have never had any problem with it running in their eyes. My son also has reacted to many other sunscreens but not this one. Blue Lizard can only be ordered online...that is why my husband carries it in his Chiropractic office. I don't know where you live but you can by it at his office which is located at 14747 Oak Road Carmel, IN 46033 adn the number is ###-###-####. Good luck!

S.,
I use California baby. They make regular sunscreen, but also make one that doesn't contain the typical sunblocking chemicals, but instead uses minerals. Its a little pricey, but worth it I think. I also know the Jason brand makes Sunbrellas that is also mineral based. Perhaps you can just try them and see if her eyes react. The reality is, probably anything like that getting in one's eyes will cause some irritation. Maybe she will keep a sun-hat on, and if the sunscreen isn't on her hands or directly close to her eyes, that will help keep it from the eyes. Good luck.

S.,

I check www.safemama.com for great "safe" products for my family before I buy anything. They have a "Safer Sunscreen Cheat Sheet" link on the homepage, as well as a "Safer Bug Repellent Report". I've been using TruKids Sunny Days sunscreen and really like it. It smells yummy too. My daughter has sensitive skin and eczema issues and this sunscreen works well for her. I recently bought Burt's Bees Herbal Insect Repellent. It's a bit thick and oily so it doesn't spray very well but I just put some in my hands and wipe it on my daughter.

Aubrey Organics has a wonderful sun block that I use on my very sensitive 6 yo son. The regular baby sunblocks broke him out horribly (we ended up in the ER once & they put him on steroids to counteract it). I found Aubrey organics at our local health food store, but they also have a web site.

As for bug spray, I'd try one of the bug bracelets or the new Off clip on that attatches to your belt. Both protect without putting the chemicals on the skin. You can pick them up almost anywhere.

Yes Melaleuca the Wellness Company has both. We have been customers since 1991 and just love their products.
Let me know if you want more info.

I have been looking quite a bit into this myself. My 4 year old son has very fair skin as well. a site I've used alot is cosmeticsdatabase.com. It does independent testing on tons of stuff including sunscreens and rates them on a scale 1-10 based on how good/bad they are for your skin. Most of the best ones are not so common organic ones that aren't too cheap. I would be willing to spend more, but I have to send some to my son's school and will be having a teacher havin to put it on him with a room full of kids screamin, so I'm not guessing be careful not to use to much isn't high on their list of concerns. Anyways, there are also some generic and cheaper brands that got good ratings. But you have to read carefully because even in each brand there are great and horrible ones. I just bought a baby blanket spf 50 lotion at toys r us for my son, but haven't used it yet, so not sure how it is yet. One more link I'll give ya: http://cosmeticsdatabase.com/special/sunscreens2008/index...
It's a side by side list of highly rated common and not so common ones. Good luck. Hope this helped a little.

have you tried California Baby? they also have a physical blocker that's shaped like a chap stick tube-very easy to put on tiny faces.

S. -

I recommend the Arbonne ABC Baby Sunscreen with SPF 30+. It is botanically based for baby's sensitive skin -- pure, safe & beneficial. I have a sample if you would like to try it. Arbonne's baby products are truly wonderful. As far as the bug spray, I use an aromatherapy lemon spritz, you can also use a dryer sheet, or many other natural ways. Dr. Mercola also has a natural bug spray, or there is one in the health food stores made by Kiss My Face I believe.

L. L.

S.,

I use something I got at the health food store, I think it's just called Sun. California Baby is good too. And Burts bees has a bug repellant that's good but I don't know if it's okay for babes.

Hello S.,

My two year old has been using Shaklee's Sunscreen since he was 3 months old and we have had no problems with it irritating his eyes. Here is a link to more info on it - http://www.shaklee.net/gemsoffire/product/32556

And as for bug repellent - I use Basic H2 it is also a Shaklee product that does many amazing things. It has over 1000 uses and is made from organic corn and coconut. When you rub the concentrated Basic H2 directly on skin it keeps the bugs away. If you get a spider or bug bite or poison ivy, you can put it on to stop the itch and dry up the poison ivy. This stuff is amazing. http://www.shaklee.net/gemsoffire/product/00015

Let me know if you would like more info on it or some samples. Have a great day.

I work with a health & wellness company that manufactures products that are all natural and safe for babies and the environmnet. If you would like more info, please send me a message.

Check out Yves Rocher. You buy it by mail or online

K. Z.

Almost anything you need to find can be found here:
http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/index.php?nothanks=1
There's a section for babies as well. They have a HUGE list of sunscreens! Here are their scary findings:
"Leading brands were the worst offenders: None of market leader Coppertone's 39 sunscreen products met EWG's criteria for safety and effectiveness, and only 1 of 90 products from Banana Boat and Neutrogena, the second- and third-largest manufacturers, are recommended by EWG."
They have a list of choices from best to worst for you.
This is the sunscreen list:
http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/special/sunscreens2008/f...

I'm not sure about bug spray, but I know Burts Bees has a good one. But, in general, it's a great site for almost anything you use topically, plus oral as well.

Cactus Juice products are all natural and I've been using them on my toddler for years. It is made with from the Prickly Pear cactus. Here is the link for the product followed by the link to the local store where I buy it.

http://www.cactusjuicetm.com/

http://www.southernindianascuba.com/store/cart.php?target...

Shaklee has a sunscreen that is awesome and non-toxic and it works. As for bug spray...there is also a product that is free of chemicals and you will be surprised on how well it works. if you contact me I can help you. Make sure you read your labels closely.

Zinc oxide and titanium dioxide are both natural sunscreens. Look for one of those two as the active ingredient in sunscreen. Zinc oxide is what's known as a physical sunscreen. In other words, because it is an opaque cream, it blocks the sun. Titanium dioxide is invisible and blocks the sun as well as zinc oxide does.

As far as bug repellent is concerned, I am intrigued by the new Off products that is a little clip-on fan that sends out a repellent that surrounds the person wearing it, so there's no more spraying. I've heard good things about it, but haven't tried it myself.

Dark colors tend to attract insects, so stay away from dark clothing. I've always heard that yellow is unattractive to them. My husband is a musician and plays outdoors a lot in the summertime. He usually puts a fabric softener sheet in his pockets to help repel mosquitoes, and it seems to help a lot.

Citrus based fragrances are unappealing to bugs, too, so something with a citrus smell can be helpful.

Sunscreens- natural ones I have used are the California Baby (Target carries it in the baby section) and Blue Lizard. Both good natural products.